Grounding/Bonding of Multiple Receptacles in Surface Mounted box

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently had branch circuits installed in an outbuilding.
Two 20 amp circuits were pulled to the building- so two hots, two neutrals and one ground.
One duplex self grounding receptacle was installed, in a 4 inch square box, surface mounted, with a raised metal cover.
The ground wire was terminated on the receptacle.
The other hot and neutral were capped with wire nuts for future use.
The future arrived, and the cover was replaced with a two gang cover, and a second self grounding receptacle was added.
The second hot and neutral were connected to the second receptacle.
No ground wire was attached to the second receptacle.

Is the only violation here that the metal box is not bonded to the cover with a jumper?
I am having the work redone with a ground pigtail to each receptacle, and to the box, regardless, but was curious as to the code compliance of the original single recpt., and the reworked two recpt configurations.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Raco 902C 4 in. Square Cover, Exposed Work, Duplex

Those covers do not require a bonding jumper to a receptacle however the EGC cannot terminate only on the receptacle it must be connected directly to the box. Running 2 circuits with separate neutrals to an outbuilding is also a violation.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Those covers do not require a bonding jumper to a receptacle however the EGC cannot terminate only on the receptacle it must be connected directly to the box. Running 2 circuits with separate neutrals to an outbuilding is also a violation.
I agree. I would add for the OP that in any event, self grounding would also not be required either.

I was pretty sure on the bonding the box to the EGC. Was not sure on relying on the self grounding of the second receptacle. The two neutrals caught me by surprise. Will have to look that one up.
Thank you, gentlemen.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Replace the two 20A breakers feeding this building with one double pole and you'll be good (it would now be considered a single branch circuit). You'd only need one neutral in that case, so not sure what to do with the 2nd one.

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
I was pretty sure on the bonding the box to the EGC. Was not sure on relying on the self grounding of the second receptacle. The two neutrals caught me by surprise. Will have to look that one up.
Thank you, gentlemen.
2020 NEC 225.30

Status
Not open for further replies.