Grounding Bushing

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
When using a MIGB are they usually only installed at pull boxes or everywhere along the run where the conduit terminates? Equipement etc.? Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What is the application that requires them? Unless you're using boxes or enclosures where there are concentric or eccentric KOs and over 250 volts to ground they're not required. For decades I laughed at guys who insisted that they're required for transformers.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
What is the application that requires them? Unless you're using boxes or enclosures where there are concentric or eccentric KOs and over 250 volts to ground they're not required. For decades I laughed at guys who insisted that they're required for transformers.
No specific situation right now. Just a general thought and question. So if the engineer specifies them but the application you explain does not apply they are not required?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No specific situation right now. Just a general thought and question. So if the engineer specifies them but the application you explain does not apply they are not required?
They are rarely ever required. If the voltage is 208Y/120 or 120/240 they are not required even for concentric and eccentric KO's. For 480Y/277 they're required when there are concentric or eccentric KO's in certain equipment like disconnect switches. For 4" or 5" boxes at that voltage they're not required. If your job has all full punched KOs they are not required.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
They are required on services
Are they? What about a bonding locknut?

The requirements at services regardless of voltage are essentially same as the requirements for over 250V. The way I read it grounding bushings (or something equivalent) are only really required around concentric and eccentric KOs. I don't regard a bonding locknut as okay for those KO situations. Otherwise, a grounding bushing is not strictly necessary on metallic enclosures, although putting one in allows you to ignore the question of whether you adequately removed paint (250.12).

In my work the most common real reason that grounding bushings are required is passing through non-metallic equipment enclosures. Otherwise, the answer to the OPs question is No, they are not usually installed at both ends if a wire EGC is run.

Some should post the flow chart again.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For a service raceway a bonding bushing would be required for concentric or eccentric KO's. For full punched KOs there are other options like a bonding locknut or wedge. Bonding bushings are not required for all services.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The flaw in that flowchart is a metallic raceway needs a bond in every non-metallic box it hits for the non-metalic box to be permitted by 314.3 Ex 1. flowchart_bonding_bushing.png

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The flaw in that flowchart is a metallic raceway needs a bond in every non-metallic box it hits for the non-metalic box to be permitted by 314.3 Ex 1.
Would it be accurate to say that the conduit itself may be bonded at only one end, but a means to do so must be provided for at both ends, because it's a box requirement, not a conduit requirement?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Would it be accurate to say that the conduit itself may be bonded at only one end, but a means to do so must be provided for at both ends, because it's a box requirement, not a conduit requirement?
Yeah if I was using that chart in a code class I'd probably change it to look like this:
flowchart_bonding_bushing-corrected.png