Grounding concrete light poles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even sure what purpose this is for.. but on plans. I am being told that ground rod needs to be inside hand hole where line connections are and connected to pole and circuit ground wire to back to panel. I believe both are wrong. Any Comments and codes that back this up?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The circuit ground wire actually the branch circuit EGC is required. The ground rod is optional and not required by the NEC. Nothing wrong with installing it and connecting it to the pole which is connected to the EGC.

The circuit ground wire actually the branch circuit EGC is required. The ground rod is optional and not required by the NEC. Nothing wrong with installing it and connecting it to the pole which is connected to the EGC.
Thanks. You may know. By theory, is the “optional ground rod” there to protect pole and/or circuit from lightning or assist in short circuit

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks. You may know. By theory, is the “optional ground rod” there to protect pole and/or circuit from lightning or assist in short circuit
The ground rod does nothing to mitigate a short circuit. It may provide some form of lightning protection but my money is on the massive amount of concrete in the ground performing that function.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
This supplemental ground rod is permitted.

By coupling any voltage rise in the EGC to the surrounding soil, this supplemental ground rod assists a short circuit....where assist means 'help kill a few worms until the EGC and OCPD clear the short'.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.