Grounding Conductor Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unbridled

Good Afternoon Gentlemen,
I have a 600A, 480v, 4 wire MCB Panelboard / Switchboard being served by a 1200A switchboard in existing building.
This 600A panelboard serves a 225KVA, 480/208/120V dry transformer.
The grounding conductor installed into the flex installed to the transformer...shall this conductor be identified property as a:
*EGC
*SSBJ
*SBJ

Also, being a separately derived system, shall the conductor bonding the transformer XO to building steel be properly identified as:
*EGC
*GEC

Thanx in advance
3 electrician debate

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have a 600A, 480v, 4 wire MCB Panelboard / Switchboard being served by a 1200A switchboard in existing building.
The grounding conductor installed into the flex installed to the transformer...shall this conductor be identified property as a:
*EGC
*SSBJ
*SBJ

Also, being a separately derived system, shall the conductor bonding the transformer XO to building steel be properly identified as:
*EGC
*GEC
SBJ

Thanx in advance
3 electrician debate

My answers in red If I can picture your installation correctly.

If I am wrong someone will set me straight.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
*EGC
*SSBJ
*SBJ
Which side of the transformer? If secondary, where is the XO bonded?
*EGC
*GEC

Thanx in advance
3 electrician debate
GEC

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
*EGC
*SSBJ
*SBJ

*EGC
*GEC

Thanx in advance
3 electrician debate

Bold gives you the answer.

Unbridled

XFMR Grounding Conductors

Which side of the transformer? If secondary, where is the XO bonded?

GEC
Thanks Dave,
The panelboard is fed with a 4 wire system @ 480V with the neutral floating.(from existing SWBD)
The XFMR primary is fed with a 3 wire system @ 480V from a 3 pole sub-breaker within this panel.
There are a couple of us electricians trying to discern what the name of the grounding conductor is that occupies that flex which also carries the ungrounded conductors to the XFMR.

We bonded the XO terminal of the XFMR's secondary to the frame and to Building Steel

Unbridled

SBJ would be from XO to transformer case or neutral buss in first disconnecting means to case. GEC as described in OP would be installed at that location also.

View attachment 17689

Thanks Derek,
The grounding conductor name we are procuring is installed in the flex feeding the primary side of XFMR.
Also, the XO terminal of the secondary side is bonded to the building steel. Is this a "GEC"?
Thanx in advance

Smart $

Esteemed Member
*EGC
*SSBJ
*SBJ
A grounding conductor between a separately derived system source and the first disconnecting means is always a Supply-Side Bonding Jumper. See 250.30(A)(2).

*EGC
*GEC
This assumes the building [structural] steel qualifies as a grounding electrode. See 250.30(A)(4), and possibly (A)(5) or (A)(6).

If not, the conductor would be a simple BJ, not an EGC. See 250.104(D)

Unbridled

A grounding conductor between a separately derived system source and the first disconnecting means is always a Supply-Side Bonding Jumper. See 250.30(A)(2).

This assumes the building [structural] steel qualifies as a grounding electrode. See 250.30(A)(4), and possibly (A)(5) or (A)(6).

Thanx Smart,
I am however referencing the name of the grounding conductor on the primary side of XFMR installed with the primary ungrounded conductors. I'm assuming assuming your comment including the "first disconnecting means"refers to being on the secondary side of XFMR

Unbridled

XFMR SSBJ?

XFMR SSBJ?

Thanx Smart,
I am however referencing the name of the grounding conductor on the primary side of XFMR installed with the primary ungrounded conductors. I'm assuming assuming your comment including the "first disconnecting means"refers to being on the secondary side of XFMR

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanx Smart,

Yes EGC, see post #4....

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Thanx Smart,
On the primary side it is an EGC typically... but it can also be a combination EGC/GEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.