grounding conductor crimp fittings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what exactly do you call those crimp connectors, that are always used on making an irreversible crimp connection on all the bare grounding conductors, are called. You know the copper crimp connector on like four egc?s in one box. What are they actually called? Where can I find them, and how do I crimp them? :eek:

macmikeman

Re: grounding conductor crimp fittings?

Mr Thomas, If you go into a wholesale house and request for "stake-on" crimps you will probably get directed to the product you are looking for. Another way to enquire is to request for (sic)" Buchanen" barrels.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Is this what you are referring to?
0.jpg
Made by Ideal (and other manufacturers)

It requires this
3FS449.jpg

tool to crimp.
Available at any electrical supply house.

electricmanscott

Originally posted by electricaldoc:
I was wondering what exactly do you call those crimp connectors, that are always used on making an irreversible crimp connection on all the bare grounding conductors, are called.
I belive they are called a pain in the *** for the next guy that has to work in that box.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Well, I believe they're called 'ferrules', and can get one off in 5 to 10 seconds (without damaging the wires).

peter

Larry,
How do you get the ferrules off the wires without damaging them?
~Peter

norcal

Cut down the length of the splice cap with a good pair of dykes, and hope the splice cap is copper and not steel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by peter:
Larry,
How do you get the ferrules off the wires without damaging them?
~Peter
By simply squeezing the ferrule round with my Kleins. It then will twist off like a nut from a bolt, if it's too tight to slide off.

macmikeman

Fellow posters, please forgive me for hijacking the post but I have a related question. I have run across many instances where these same barrel crimps have been used on current carrying conductor splices with just wraps of electrical tape to insulate them. I am pretty sure this is a code violations but am not sure. Anybody know?

Originally posted by electricman2:
Is this what you are referring to?
0.jpg
Made by Ideal (and other manufacturers)

It requires this
3FS449.jpg

tool to crimp.
Available at any electrical supply house.
Yes this is what I was looking for. I did not relies that they could be crimped with regular crimpier, which I already have. The look harder to crimp and I did not think my crispers would do the job. Thanks everyone, I felt stupid having to ask this, but been doing industrial wiring, and we do not use them. I am now getting into doing residential wiring on side. So I know need to know, and I would rather ask here then show my lack of knowledge out in field.

Thanks again.

physis

by macmikeman:

I have run across many instances where these same barrel crimps have been used on current carrying conductor splices with just wraps of electrical tape to insulate them. I am pretty sure this is a code violations but am not sure.
110.14(B) Splices. .................. All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose. ..........
I don't think electrical tape is an insulating device identified for the purpose, but I'm only about 90% sure. I could be wrong.

Edit: Or maybe it's equivalent to the conductor insulation.

I guess it's an AHJ call.

[ July 20, 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by macmikeman:
Fellow posters, please forgive me for hijacking the post but I have a related question. I have run across many instances where these same barrel crimps have been used on current carrying conductor splices with just wraps of electrical tape to insulate them. I am pretty sure this is a code violations but am not sure. Anybody know?
I certainly hope this isn't true. I have probably quite a few tape insulated crimped splices out there. :eek:

celtic

110.14(B) Splices................... All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose. ..........
Originally posted by electricman2:
I certainly hope this isn't true. I have probably quite a few tape insulated crimped splices out there. :eek:

Black vinyl is rated at 600v...but what about the other properties...THHN/THWN, XHHW, etc.
Those ancient splices that were soldered and covered with friction and rubber were probably done that way for a reason.(Besides the fact that they probabky didn't have wire nuts)
Similarly, when I tape a HV splice/termination...we don't achieve the insulation rating of 5KV by wrapping the cable 8.33 times with black vinyl....could you imagine how much black vinyl would be used on a 35KV splice/termination ~ how many rolls of tape is that!

You must replace what you take off (property wise and voltage wise).

iwire

Staff member

Well, I believe they're called 'ferrules'
I thought there where called 'junk'.

Oh wait, thats just what I call them. :D

[ July 20, 2005, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

dave0317

i have a tool for them as some inspectors in my area require the grounds to be crimped.i hate coming behind them, but if your gonna use them, regular crimpers really aint the thing to use. they make a 4-way crimper for them. a normal crimper will make a crimp, but it wont last under alot of movement like replacein the devices or troubleshooting. the 4 way crimper gits them tight and almost always requires cutting to come off. persoanlly, i like wire nutts.
mine is made by Buchannan, kant find a picture of it to link tho.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by dave0317:
i have a tool for them as some inspectors in my area require the grounds to be crimped.
Tell them no!

Unless there is a local amendment they can not require crimps for EGCs.

davedottcom

I call them ground crimps. I like em! The only thing better then using them is using nothing at all! :)
Like Larry said, they are very easy to remove if you just have the method down.
And don't let that picture of the crimper fool you, that is NOT a regular pair of dykes!
I know, I know, most guys prefer the Big-Ole Green Wirenuts, I know because I find them EVERYWHERE! :p

Dave

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by davedottcom:
I call them ground crimps. I like em! The only thing better then using them is using nothing at all!
That's funny cause I think they are no better than nothing at all! :D

Originally posted by davedottcom:
I know, I know, most guys prefer the Big-Ole Green Wirenuts, I know because I find them EVERYWHERE!
I don't usually use greens, I use this odd connector. ;)

:cool:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

a few years ago, i went to plug in something into an outlet on my back porch.

as I pushed in the plug, a shower of sparks was emitted, some black smoke was released. I was somewhat surprised when this happeend.

investigation revealed that the ground wires inside this particular box were twisted together but no wire nut was used. further, there was no pigtail to the box. one of the green wires had come loose.

I used the green wire nuts with the hole in the end to connect a pigtail to the box and the existing green wires just cause I thought it was a neat idea to use a green wire nut for grounds.

i opened up a fair number of other outlets in the house and found a number of them were also like this. they got the same treatment.

a few years ago i found the electrical inspection tag inside a wall in the bathroom. i was sort of amazed the inspector did not notice this particular situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.