Grounding Conductor Insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCMORTON

I've used stranded copper MTW,THWN,THHN for service grounding conductor for ten years without a problem. Recently, it was suggested that the insulation is not suitable for direct burial between ground rods. Any comments ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
JCMORTON said:
I've used stranded copper MTW,THWN,THHN for service grounding conductor for ten years without a problem. Recently, it was suggested that the insulation is not suitable for direct burial between ground rods. Any comments ?

Strip the insulation off.

Roger

hillbilly

JCMORTON said:

I think that whoever told you that is kind of missing the boat. :smile:

The GEC can be solid or stranded, insulated, covered or bare.

Which of the above requirements does your GEC fail to meet?

It doesn't even have to be green in color.

steve

tryinghard

hillbilly said:
I think that whoever told you that is kind of missing the boat. :smile:

The GEC can be solid or stranded, insulated, covered or bare.

Which of the above requirements does your GEC fail to meet?

steve

I agree this is described in 250

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
see 250.119

In particular - 250.119(A)

Last edited:

fireryan

steve[

doesnt it say in the 2008 code that anything smaller than #6awg has to be a continous color and cannot be identified by tape? Dont have my code book here right now

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
fireryan said:

steve[

doesnt it say in the 2008 code that anything smaller than #6awg has to be a continous color and cannot be identified by tape? Dont have my code book here right now

You're thinking EGC.

Roger

Making a contractor strip off the insulation of an open GEC that is to be buried is a thoughtless action. What will the end result be if it is bare or insulated and buried???

The only thing that makes even marginal sense is that the bare conductor makes more earth contact.....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Pierre C Belarge said:
Making a contractor strip off the insulation of an open GEC that is to be buried is a thoughtless action.
I agree, but it sounds more like a misinformed (for lack of a better term) inspector than a thoughtless action

Roger

fireryan

roger said:
You're thinking EGC.

Roger

I dont think it says the gec is exempt, or maybe it does. I thought it said any wire smaller than #6awg shall be a continous color. Where is my code book when I need it?:D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
fireryan said:
I dont think it says the gec is exempt, or maybe it does. I thought it said any wire smaller than #6awg shall be a continous color. Where is my code book when I need it?:D
There is no requirement that the grounding electrode conductor be green. It can be any color except white.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
petersonra said:
it does have to be insulated though, correct?
No, there is no requirement that it be an insulated conductor.
250.62 Grounding Electrode Conductor Material
The grounding electrode conductor shall be of copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum. The material selected shall be resistant to any corrosive condition existing at the installation or shall be suitably protected against corrosion. The conductor shall be solid or stranded, insulated, covered, or bare.

erickench

Did you ever try using Type MC or MI cable? How about type SE? The code approves them for use as Service Conductor. Are these conductors of yours running with the service conductors? If so then you might as well use the same type of cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.