Grounding Electrode Conductor

Silky1

Occupation
Electrician
Hello. Can an grounding electro conductor be in the same raceway (PVC) as the 4 wire feeder. Basically I’m installing a meter/ main combo outside and need to run a feeder to the exciting panel. This installation will be in an attic so in order for us to get the GEC to this panel can we use the same PVC. Thanks

TX+ MASTER#4544

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor
Hello. Can an grounding electro conductor be in the same raceway (PVC) as the 4 wire feeder. Basically I’m installing a meter/ main combo outside and need to run a feeder to the exciting panel. This installation will be in an attic so in order for us to get the GEC to this panel can we use the same PVC. Thanks
2023 NEC
Have you checked the definition of a GEC, (grounding electrode conductor) in your Code book?
And the definition of an EGC?
The GEC does not terminate in your sub panel.
Do you instead, mean, an EGC (equipment grounding conductor) in your PVC?
I think that is what you meant to say. So, watch your language.
There is a big difference in the two conductors. Each one is for a very particular reason.

TX+MASTER#4544

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Actually a GEC is required at a sub panel at a detached structure if it is the disconnecting means required per 225.31. Although the GES should originate at detached structure. 250.32.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Do you instead, mean, an EGC (equipment grounding conductor) in your PVC?
I think that is what you meant to say
Unless it's 3 phase I believe he meant GEC. He said a GEC with a 4 wire feeder. A single phase, 4 wire feeder would already have an EGC.

Actually a GEC is required at a sub panel at a detached structure if it is the disconnecting means required per 225.31. Although the GES should originate at detached structure. 250.32.
You are correct but he mentioned an attic so I'm not seeing a separate structure here.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Guessing that the existing panel is in the house, and he is putting a meter main outside and running a feeder into the existing panel where the GEC is. He wants to use the feeder pipe to get the GEC from the house to the meter main.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You don't need a grounding electrode conductor in the sub panel. Are you thinking of splicing an existing grounding electrode conductor that is in the sub panel?

Silky1

Occupation
Electrician
Guessing that the existing panel is in the house, and he is putting a meter main outside and running a feeder into the existing panel where the GEC is. He wants to use the feeder pipe to get the GEC from the house to the meter main.
Correct I would like to use the PVC pipe that comes from the meter/ main to inside the house so when I’m done there would be a 4 wire feeder to the existing panel and a GEC to the meter/ main.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Correct I would like to use the PVC pipe that comes from the meter/ main to inside the house so when I’m done there would be a 4 wire feeder to the existing panel and a GEC to the meter/ main.
Assuming you are running a new GEC from the water pipe or other electrode(s) and not splicing the existing one at the existing panel location it should be ok.

I can't think of any code reason you can't do this, but it seems unusual. Any reason you couldn't just run the GEC indoors following the PVC pipe with the feeder and then sleeving the GEC in Pvc where it exits the house to feed the meter main?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
IMO, that's a bad idea. For one, the grounding electrode conductor doesn't have to go top the meter/main so why make it longer than it needs to be. Secondly, what code cycle are you under? As stated earlier you may need an exterior disconnect at the house.

david

IMO, that's a bad idea. For one, the grounding electrode conductor doesn't have to go top the meter/main so why make it longer than it needs to be.
He installing a four wire feeder from the meter main to a sub panel
why wouldn't the main bonding jumper not be at the meter main service disconnect?
Secondly, what code cycle are you under? As stated earlier you may need an exterior disconnect at the house.
Why wouldn't the meter main be an outside service disconnect?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't recall talking about a main bonding jumper but rather the grounding electrode conductor.

Well the code states on the building or within sight. If the meter/main is no more than 50' and within sight then I assume it is acceptable.

david

I don't recall talking about a main bonding jumper but rather the grounding electrode conductor.

Well the code states on the building or within sight. If the meter/main is no more than 50' and within sight then I assume it is acceptable.
No, your right, he didn't say where the meter main is located. I think we or at least I took that for granted

And your also correct if its on a separate structure, the grounding electrode system for the house would be a feeder supplied building

I got tunnel vision pn this one. I visualized the meter main attached to the building