Grounding electrode conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldmaster2

Occupation
Master Electrician
When using 2 ground rods I always run the GEC through the first clamp and terminate at second rod. Always continuous from panel to ground rods. I'm told that it is permissible to run to the first rod and install a jumper to second rod. My inspector says no, that's not continuous. Appreciate your thoughts.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
When using 2 ground rods I always run the GEC through the first clamp and terminate at second rod. Always continuous from panel to ground rods. I'm told that it is permissible to run to the first rod and install a jumper to second rod. My inspector says no, that's not continuous. Appreciate your thoughts.
Your allowed to just go the first rod, than a jumper between the two rods. Although you will have to use a second clamp on the first rod for the jumper unless it’s listed for two. Give me a min I’ll post a pic to explain better.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The second conductor is a bonding jumper, as the pic shows, not an gec. The gec is continuous. I prefer to install this without a jumper even though it can be done the other way.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Inspector is incorrect. The GEC ends at the first rod and is required to be continuous. A bonding jumper as shown in the graphic is correct.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yep, inspector is incorrect, invite him to join theses forums.

Roger

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
“Grounding Electrode Conductor. A conductor used to connect the system grounded conductor or the equipment to a grounding electrode or to a point on the grounding electrode system.”(2008 code language)

—request code article from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.