Grounding electrode conductor

Therealcrt

Occupation
Electrician
My grounding electrode to bond the slab is rebar so do I size my electrode conductor according the the exception in article 250.66 or do I use the table and base the size of my GEC on the size of the ungrounded conductor (Hot)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You would use T250.66 to determine the minimum size however the GEC is not required to be larger than #4 AWG.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This may sound like I'm nitpicking but 250.66 does not have any exceptions, 250.66(B) is part of the the article section and is a code rule.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see why you guys are saying this. Rebar can totally can be a CEE, if installed to 250.52(3)(1). See also 250.68(C)(3).
Because most do not see a slab as a "concrete foundation or footing". It is not the rebar that is being questioned, CEEs only exist in concrete foundations or footings.

Therealcrt

Occupation
Electrician
It’s a ufer ground. Concrete incased rebar in the footing. Grounding electrode conductor connected to in then into the main disconnect.

Therealcrt

Occupation
Electrician
Ok I believe I have miss interpreted this question. During the ground rough the concrete guys ran a continuous 1/2” rebar in the footing then stubbed it straight up so that it is stubbed up into a stud space. Now that hung my meter main disconnect and I’m going to run my grounding electrode conductor from that piece of rebar to the meter main. I mounted a 2 gang mud ring so I can put. Blank cover on it and the inspector will be able to see the connection made.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Ok I believe I have miss interpreted this question. During the ground rough the concrete guys ran a continuous 1/2” rebar in the footing then stubbed it straight up so that it is stubbed up into a stud space. Now that hung my meter main disconnect and I’m going to run my grounding electrode conductor from that piece of rebar to the meter main. I mounted a 2 gang mud ring so I can put. Blank cover on it and the inspector will be able to see the connection made.
Then 250.66(B), #4 Maximum required as long as it does not extend to other electrodes requiring a larger size..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for the clarification, what you've described is code compliant. When you said slab in your first post it was confusing because a plain old slab with rebar does not qualify as an electrode.