Grounding electrode connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddiestrickland

New User
Occupation
Electrican
If you have a 400 amp non fused disconnect beside a panel with a 400 amp main and all over current devices where does grounding electrode connect. Some inspectors require it to be in the panel where first over current device is.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The grounding electrode conductor is connected anywhere on the service. That means from the first disconnect back. In NC you can install the grounding electrode conductor in the meterbase or the first disconnect panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well, of course, as Roger showed you can connect to the overhead also. We haven't worked on overheads in so long I don't think about it but in truth I can't imagine connecting up there either. Not sure I have ever seen the grounding electrode conductor connected at the overhead.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, of course, as Roger showed you can connect to the overhead also. We haven't worked on overheads in so long I don't think about it but in truth I can't imagine connecting up there either. Not sure I have ever seen the grounding electrode conductor connected at the overhead.
I have, but only in older rural areas. I guess it was considered the best location for lightning.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Some inspectors require it to be in the panel where first over current device is
Mandating this is not in compliance with the NEC so without a local amendment the EI is making up his own code. If you look at Roger's graphic there are multiple places where it is permitted to terminate the GEC.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I agree connection at the service drop is best location for lightning, instead of inside at the service panel
But the AHJ will not of seen that location and may want to look a bit harder at rest of job.
I have never seen this location for a connection

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I've always had trouble getting mind wrapped around this. Now if I was grounding at the meter or at the drop, will there still be bonding of the neutral and EGC at first service disconnect? Or is 4 wire (120/240) required from the bonding point of GEC to neutral to the first disconnect? Picture from Mike Holt's doesn't show a 4th. But f course I've always bonded the GEC at the service disconnect so never considered implications.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I've always had trouble getting mind wrapped around this. Now if I was grounding at the meter or at the drop, will there still be bonding of the neutral and EGC at first service disconnect? Or is 4 wire (120/240) required from the bonding point of GEC to neutral to the first disconnect? Picture from Mike Holt's doesn't show a 4th. But f course I've always bonded the GEC at the service disconnect so never considered implications.
You would still need a Main Bonding Jumper at the main regardless of where the GEC is landed. Notice Mikes Graphic shows it in the Disconnect and from that point the EGC and Neutral are separate.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

You only need 2 hots and a neutral from the overhead thru to the first disconnect, no matter where the grounding electrode conductor is landed- assuming single phase

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Now if I was grounding at the meter or at the drop, will there still be bonding of the neutral and EGC at first service disconnect? Or is 4 wire (120/240) required from the bonding point of GEC to neutral to the first disconnect?
No, there is no EGC before the bonding point, which is the origination of the premises equipment grounding system.

Ahead of that point, all "grounding" is connected directly to the neutral itself, which is the ground reference for the premises.

Status
Not open for further replies.