Grounding Electrode Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv3510

I was Violated by a Inspector in RI, he states it is not legal to terminate the grounding electrode conductor from the 2 ground rod to the meter socket lug that is provided. He states the grounding electrode conductor must enter the building a go direcetly to the distribution panel. This is a one family with plastic water piping. Is he right. If I remeber Mike Holt right saying 2 ground rods # 6 you are done with plastic water piping.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I was Violated by a Inspector in RI, he states it is not legal to terminate the grounding electrode conductor from the 2 ground rod to the meter socket lug that is provided. He states the grounding electrode conductor must enter the building a go direcetly to the distribution panel.
As far as the NEC is concerned the inspector is wrong.

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I was Violated by a Inspector in RI
Welcome to the forum - you might want to be careful how you word things. :grin:

...he states it is not legal to terminate the grounding electrode conductor from the 2 ground rod to the meter socket lug that is provided.

I agree with Roger to a point - however, in my area, the AHJs pretty much all agree that the interior of a meter socket is off limits due to the POCO seal. If I want a service to pass, I do not use the meter socket to land a GEC.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Roger to a point - however, in my area, the AHJs pretty much all agree that the interior of a meter socket is off limits due to the POCO seal. If I want a service to pass, I do not use the meter socket to land a GEC.

How do they allow the other connections inside the sealed meter? The other connections are not accessible either if they say the GEC connection isn't. I know we have been here before, I just can't understand the reasoning.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
I was Violated by a Inspector in RI, he states it is not legal to terminate the grounding electrode conductor from the 2 ground rod to the meter socket lug that is provided. He states the grounding electrode conductor must enter the building a go direcetly to the distribution panel. This is a one family with plastic water piping. Is he right. If I remeber Mike Holt right saying 2 ground rods # 6 you are done with plastic water piping.

I am pretty sure your area is National Grid Rhode Island, they prohibit GECs into meter sockets.

See section 6.4 on page 68 Specifications for Electrical Installations

Now should the EI be failing you for National Grid requirements ....... probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.