Grounding Electrode System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epi

I just installed a switch gear for my service entrance conductors.I drove a ground rod for my electrode.I know that in 250.50 requires you to bond all electrode in 250.52 A 1 through A6 to be bonded .Are you required to bond the buiding steel and water pipe whitin 5ft of entrance to the building even if your ground rod is present as your elctrode.

bphgravity

Re: Grounding Electrode System

If you have a metal underground water pipe, a metal frame building, and/or a concrete encased electrode present, those will all have to be used and bonded together. The ground rods are then not needed. It doesn't work the other way around. Yes, it dosen't make much sense, but that is the code.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician

I always wondered about that....how many electrodes are you required to use? All available I assume but at what point can you eliminate the ground rods.

Epi

Can you ground to your ground rod than bond cold water and building steel at any point.Or do you have to go within 5ft of entrance.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The only thing that has a restriction of being within five feet of the point of entry is the water pipe. That rule is there because a plumber might disconnect a pipe anywhere within the building. We don't want that to cause the grounding system to become disconnected, so we make the bond point close to the entrance.

haskindm

Usually you only need one grounding electrode. If you have grounded building steel, or a concrete encased electrode, use one of them as the grounding electrode and you are done. That said, you must use ALL electrodes that are PRESENT, you can't pick and chose which one you would like to use. If the water pipe is used as your electrode it MUST be supplemented by at least one other electrode. Traditionally this has been ground rods, but any of the other acceptable electrodes can be used as this additional electrode. With the requirement to use a concrete encased electrode, if PRESENT, it looks like there will be very few ground rods required to be installed. The guy that represents the ground rod manufacturers on the code making panel must have missed a few meetings!
Also the water pipe must be bonded even if it is not serving as a grounding electrode.

twistin214

when i drive two grnd rods on new residential rough, then water/well come in, i bond to the nearest available point. now if i was using the water pipe as a grnding electrode, i then go to my 1.52m(5') entrance rule and supplement it with a grnd rod. my question is that if i'm creating a grnding system shouldn't the point of attachment be the same?

[ December 30, 2005, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: twistin214 ]

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by Epi:
Can you ground to your ground rod than bond cold water and building steel at any point.Or do you have to go within 5ft of entrance.
To use the pipe as an electrode, the 5-foot rule applies; for merely bonding, the connection can be anywhere.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

how many electrodes are you required to use? All available I assume but at what point can you eliminate the ground rods.
Anytime you have an electrode other than a metal underground metal water pipe.
Don

macmikeman

To use the pipe as an electrode, the 5-foot rule applies; for merely bonding, the connection can be anywhere.
Total agreement on this statement, and would like to add - 250.52 and the 5-foot rule is for Interior connections. For exterior connections the code does not seem to address this.

Status
Not open for further replies.