Grounding electrode

guschash

How close to the main electrical panel does metal water pipe electrode have to be in order that it can be used as used as aground. If the panel is 20ft from the water meter intake can it still be used has a ground? In Atricle 250.66(C) it says 5ft. So I'm thinking that 20 ft is to far away to be used.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with retirede. Distance to the water pipe doesn't matter but the connection must be within 5' of where it enters the building. Of course, the closer the grounding electrode conductor is to the water pipe the better.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do you think that 100' of a grounding electrode conductor is as good as a 10' grounding electrode conductor when a surge or strike occurs?
The way I look at it is if it is a buried GEC it is just an extension of the GE. A long buried conductor will be adding some value to the GES. If you could use nothing else but a copper conductor for the GE the longer it is the better it is.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The way I look at it is if it is a buried GEC it is just an extension of the GE. A long buried conductor will be adding some value to the GES. If you could use nothing else but a copper conductor for the GE the longer it is the better it is.
You are talking a different animal. The original poster is talking about connection to a water pipe. I assume the grounding electrode conductor is being run thru a building not as being a lengthy electrode.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You are talking a different animal. The original poster is talking about connection to a water pipe. I assume the grounding electrode conductor is being run thru a building not as being a lengthy electrode.
Could be which is the reason I did say buried.

kwired

Electron manager
Do you think that 100' of a grounding electrode conductor is as good as a 10' grounding electrode conductor when a surge or strike occurs?
Likely not, NEC wording doesn't really give us any choice on what we can do though, if the water pipe electrode exists we are supposed to connect to it.