Grounding in Barn

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Looking at a job for someone who just built a barn. He is planning to put about 10x15 foot concrete floors in 2 areas. My thinking is to carry a bare ground wire from main outdoor ground to closest floor, put a ground block on nearest post, then bury another from there to a ground block near 2nd location. When mesh is installed, carry a jumper to each from the nearest block.

He also has 2 high faucets in barn. Metal riser pipes but plastic underground. I want to carry jumpers to each of them as well, just in case of any accidental contact with frayed drop cords, etc.

Sound good? He will not be keeping animals in there, just equipment. But if he installs other significant runs of metals, I can have convenient means to ground them as well.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Looking at a job for someone who just built a barn. He is planning to put about 10x15 foot concrete floors in 2 areas. My thinking is to carry a bare ground wire from main outdoor ground to closest floor, put a ground block on nearest post, then bury another from there to a ground block near 2nd location. When mesh is installed, carry a jumper to each from the nearest block.

He also has 2 high faucets in barn. Metal riser pipes but plastic underground. I want to carry jumpers to each of them as well, just in case of any accidental contact with frayed drop cords, etc.

Sound good? He will not be keeping animals in there, just equipment. But if he installs other significant runs of metals, I can have convenient means to ground them as well.

Its overkill, and besides that, unneeded.

Slab floors do not require bonding of any kind for this type of area. sounds like you have a couple slabs with no footings. How much of the metal risers are in contact with earth?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Barns will have a grounding electrode system just like any other structure.

If it will contain livestock, then that opens an entirely different can of worms.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Faucet risers come up about 3 feet. Risers are rigid metal, tie wired to metal stakes. UG piping is nonmetallic.

Currently no plans to keep animals there, but this customer is generally full of surprises. He may change his mind next week or next year. I like to plan worst case with him. If I put in a grounding means now I am covered. Much easier than backtracking.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Faucet risers come up about 3 feet. Risers are rigid metal, tie wired to metal stakes. UG piping is nonmetallic.

Currently no plans to keep animals there, but this customer is generally full of surprises. He may change his mind next week or next year. I like to plan worst case with him. If I put in a grounding means now I am covered. Much easier than backtracking.
+1
If he doesn't mind paying for it I'd do exactly what you are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.