Grounding in Sandy Soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerfulpat

I recently did an install in coastal NC. The place is nothing but sand, and although the install was IAW Code and the inspector and power company were satisfied, I have some concerns that my normal inland installs don't pose.

How good is the ground actually going to be?
Is there a way to limit corrosion of the Ground Rod and Ground Conductor?
What kind of maintenance should we be doing to ensure that a good ground is maintained?

Thanks, and I look forward to your input.

bphgravity

I wouldn't put too much worry into it. There are products and materials available that address your concerns, but I believe they are a waste of money and effort.

To answer your questions:

1. Probably as good as it will ever need to be. If you have met the code minimum, you did your job.

2. Possibly. But again, those methods and materials will cost more than the benefit they MAY provide. Copper or SS ground rods last much longer than your typical galvanized variety.

3. Connections are key to grouding maintenance. Connections to the electrodes and at the service equipment are really the only two maintanable components.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
powerfulpat said:
I recently did an install in coastal NC. The place is nothing but sand, and although the install was IAW Code and the inspector and power company were satisfied, I have some concerns that my normal inland installs don't pose.

How good is the ground actually going to be?
Is there a way to limit corrosion of the Ground Rod and Ground Conductor?
What kind of maintenance should we be doing to ensure that a good ground is maintained?

Thanks, and I look forward to your input.

I hope you used a copper ground rod.-- that will limit corrosion. I know at the SC coast I did a beach house for a friend and I had to install a 10' ground rod. Apparently the salt will eat up a regular ground rod--- my guess is they told you that anyway.

dereckbc

Staff member
Q1. How good is the ground actually going to be?
A1. Doesn't really matter as earth has no function to operation in NEC applications. As long as you met the code requirmemt, sleep well.

Q2. Is there a way to limit corrosion of the Ground Rod and Ground Conductor?
A2, Yes, use copper and SS

Q3. What kind of maintenance should we be doing to ensure that a good ground is maintained?
A3. If you used a thermo-weld or irreversable compression connectors, what maintenance are you referring to? Mechanical connectors will fail generally speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.