Grounding & lightning protection for gas station with above ground tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not seeing any specific code requirements for above ground tanks and am concerning about grounding and lightning protection. Has anyone experience with this? In some industries like pharmaceutical we put lightning protection per NFPA 780 on everything. But this is new gas station in California and I am not sure what to do here.
It seems a 2/0 bare ground circling the site would be wise, with jumpers to probably each end of each 35-foot long tank plus, plus to dispensers would be wise?
I would be very interested to hear other's experience with gas stations!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I am not seeing any specific code requirements for above ground tanks and am concerning about grounding and lightning protection. Has anyone experience with this? In some industries like pharmaceutical we put lightning protection per NFPA 780 on everything. But this is new gas station in California and I am not sure what to do here.
It seems a 2/0 bare ground circling the site would be wise, with jumpers to probably each end of each 35-foot long tank plus, plus to dispensers would be wise?
I would be very interested to hear other's experience with gas stations!
No gas station experience here, but from what I gather just from reading the code, grounding and bonding falls to 250 general and 501.30. The latter essentially says you have to ground and or bond electrical only equipment and that you can't rely on double locknuts or a locknut-bushing combination connection for bonding. Yes, you have to bond non-current-carrrying metallic parts likely to be energized... but that bonding seems to always be covered by any properly grounded circuit and equipment that is likely to energize such.

Considerations for lightning and static discharge seem to me to be outside the scope of the NEC... but I'm open to enlightenment here :happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.