Grounding manufactured building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustwin351

I have a manufactured building I am running a 4 wire circuit from 1 of 2 outdoor 200A subpanels (not a service) that sit next to each other. The subpanels have 1 ground rod driven next to them and the panels are about 12-15 feet away from the manufactured building. In this case do I need a separate ground rod for manufactured home's inside panel or does my equipment grounding conductor with my circuit satisfy my grounding requirements?

Also, 3 washers and 3 dryers will be added to this manufactured building. It's panel will not support the additional load...Any problems with running circuits from the second outdoor panel (remember there are two 200A panels) for the washers and dryers? Of course all conductors would be sized appropriately taking into account conductor derating, amacity...etc...with an equipment grounding conductor sized correctly.

I found similar discussions in the forum but not specific to my question.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Grounding manufactured building

I have a manufactured building I am running a 4 wire circuit from 1 of 2 outdoor 200A subpanels (not a service) that sit next to each other. The subpanels have 1 ground rod driven next to them and the panels are about 12-15 feet away from the manufactured building. In this case do I need a separate ground rod for manufactured home's inside panel or does my equipment grounding conductor with my circuit satisfy my grounding requirements?

Also, 3 washers and 3 dryers will be added to this manufactured building. It's panel will not support the additional load...Any problems with running circuits from the second outdoor panel (remember there are two 200A panels) for the washers and dryers? Of course all conductors would be sized appropriately taking into account conductor derating, amacity...etc...with an equipment grounding conductor sized correctly.
Manufactured building or manufactured home?

Note that using a manufactured home for a non-dwelling purpose does not make it a manufactured building.

See Articles 545 and 550. Determination is mostly regulated by state and federal code.

Offhand I'll surmise the following:
  • MB will require a GES
  • MH will not require a GES (debatable; been debated)
Code is a bit hazy on running a single additional circuit to the MB/MH, but I hazard a guess that at most only one such circuit would be permitted. See Part II of Article 225 (starts at 225.30).

jumper

Assuming that these subpanels are attached to some type of structure, posts and plywood/strut, you would need 2 rods to serve the subpanels unless you can prove a single rod has 25 ohms or less resistance.

Mustwin351

Manufactured building or manufactured home?

Note that using a manufactured home for a non-dwelling purpose does not make it a manufactured building.

See Articles 545 and 550. Determination is mostly regulated by state and federal code.

Offhand I'll surmise the following:
  • MB will require a GES
  • MH will not require a GES (debatable; been debated)
Code is a bit hazy on running a single additional circuit to the MB/MH, but I hazard a guess that at most only one such circuit would be permitted. See Part II of Article 225 (starts at 225.30).

How do residential homes comply with 325.30? You have your an outdoor panel which feeds a subpanel inside but your outdoor panel also serves your range, furnace, AC and possibly other loads.

What about feeding sthe manufactured building from only 1 of 2 outdoor panels but having separate circuits and conduits from the outside panel feeding both the building and 2 washers and 2 dryers?

So essiently the building's panel and then its appliances inside would be fed from one outdoor panel. Would seem like the same setup as residential house with the exception that my outside panel is not a service and located about 12 feet from the manufactured building

iwire

Staff member
How do residential homes comply with 225.30? You have your an outdoor panel which feeds a subpanel inside but your outdoor panel also serves your range, furnace, AC and possibly other loads.

In that case all the panels are located on the same structure.

I think we are assuming the outdoor panels in you case are not attached to the mobile home / building.

So essiently the building's panel and then its appliances inside would be fed from one outdoor panel. Would seem like the same setup as residential house with the exception that my outside panel is not a service and located about 12 feet from the manufactured building

That 12' makes all the difference.

Mustwin351

In that case all the panels are located on the same structure.

I think we are assuming the outdoor panels in you case are not attached to the mobile home / building.

That 12' makes all the difference.

So if my outdoor panel were attached to the manufactured building I could feed the inside panel from it as well as run other circuits from the outside panel into the building?

if I took a long piece of strut attached it to the building and then to my outside panel (as crappy as that sounds) would that satisify the requirement? Pardon me for not knowing which code section applies.

iwire

Staff member
So if my outdoor panel were attached to the manufactured building I could feed the inside panel from it as well as run other circuits from the outside panel into the building?

That is the case without a doubt with 'stick built' homes. It is less clear when dealing with mobile homes or buildings.

if I took a long piece of strut attached it to the building and then to my outside panel (as crappy as that sounds) would that satisfy the requirement?

Ideas like that do come up, maybe a section of fence etc. But to me only the local inspector can answer if they will be fine with that.

Heck, they might even be fine with your original idea even though it is technically a violation. Maybe the inspector will see it as all one structure already?

Pardon me for not knowing which code section applies.

No one knows them all. No worries. :)

david

I found similar discussions in the forum but not specific to my question.

I have a manufactured building

I In this case do I need a separate ground rod for manufactured home's inside panel or does my equipment grounding conductor with my circuit satisfy my grounding requirements?

For NEC purposes if this is truly a manufactured home and you are re-purposing it for some other use than you would apply
550.4 General Requirements.
(A) Mobile Home Not Intended as a Dwelling Unit.

"It shall, however, meet all other applicable requirements of this article if provided with an electrical installation intended to be energized from a 120-volt or 120/240-volt ac power supply system. Where different voltage is required by either design or available power supply system, adjustment shall be made in accordance with other articles and sections for the voltage used."

Status
Not open for further replies.