grounding multiple disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Engineer
I am designing a new service. the existing service is being demolished and moved to the exterior of the building. the service will have an 800 amp pull box for the service entrance cabling from the utility. from this pull box it will split to two separate 400a disconnects. I understand that at each disconnect I bond the neutral and ground and either connect to a common conductor for the existing grounding or run a grounding conductor to the grounding points individually. my question is if i can do the bonding and grounding in the service pull box? if i do this, will I bond the neutral and ground in the pull box and separate the neutral and grounds in the disconnect? inputs will be appreciated. the utility provider allows for the later connections.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, you can connect your electrodes to the neutral in the pull box, sized for a single 800a service.

There should be no separate EGC between the pull box and the two disconnects, only the neutral..

Each premises's own EGC system begins at the neutral bus in its respective disconnect, not before.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If needed, your Code reference is 250.24
(1) General. The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the overhead service conductors, service drop, underground service conductors, or service lateral to, including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.