grounding of csst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jin76

Hi,
I am having a gas line extended from my basement all the way up to my 2nd floor of my house. The installer said he is going to use tracPipe counterstrike csst in order to do the extension. I asked the installer to ensure that he properly grounds the csst because i read online of teh potential fire hazard due to lightening strikes, he said that since the current gasline is already grounded and hes connecting to that , he does not need to do any additional grounding using 6 awg cable and the clamp described online. Is what he is saying correct?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Around here the bonding is connected to the solid steel piping usually near the gas meter. If the current steel gas piping is already properly bonded then I agree with your installer. Here's a graphic from the NJ DCA:

ccc_2011_spring-11.gif

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Does he think its grounded because he has seen a physical ground wire? or assume because the line side of the gas pipe originates from the ground?
The listing and instructions for that CSST do not require the #6 bonding conductor that the listing and instructions for other types of CSST require. However the Fuel Gas Code, NFPA 54, requires the #6 bonding conductor and does not have an exception for the "counterstrike" CSST where the listing says it can be installed without the #6 bonding conductor.
There are no additional bonding requirements for TracPipe® CounterStrike® imposed by the manufacturer’s installation instructions. With TracPipe® CounterStrike®’s improved properties, TracPipe® CounterStrike® is to be bonded in accordance with current requirements of the National Electrical Code (NFPA 70), and the National Fuel Gas Code (NFPA 54), and with any local requirements that may be in excess of the national codes. This may result in the avoidance of additional bonding costs which are required for conventional CSST.

Status
Not open for further replies.