grounding of outside disconnect and inside panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricjack

yes, I have an outside service meter panel with diconnect that has been grounded with copper ground wire from 2ea ground rods, my question is can you also take a ground wire from an additional ground rod and ground it into the inside elect. subpanel, it is not neccessary, but is there any harm, the grounds and neutrals in the subpanel are not bonded together..thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You're right, it is not necessary and IMO would be a waste of material and effort.

Roger

Ricjack

grounding

grounding

Thanks Roger, if the owner has this installed, is there any harm if he does not disconnect grounding of subpanel, he does understand that it is not needed...thanks

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There really is no harm in it. This would only be connected to the EGC in the sub-panel, not the neutral conductor correct?

Roger

tryinghard

jmontoya said:
Does it matter how high a clamp attaches to a ground rod

I don't think so as long as the rod meets the criteria of 250-52(5), 250-53 & 250-70. You'll notice the clamp/connection to the rod has to be listed for direct burial and that the rod has to be installed so that 8' of lenght is in contact with soil so the connection really shouldn't matter.

tryinghard

Ricjack said:
yes, I have an outside service meter panel with diconnect that has been grounded with copper ground wire from 2ea ground rods, my question is can you also take a ground wire from an additional ground rod and ground it into the inside elect. subpanel, it is not neccessary, but is there any harm, the grounds and neutrals in the subpanel are not bonded together..thanks

This action would really be redundant because the feed from you're main to sub panel would include a correctly sized equipment-grounding conductor which provides all the effective ground fault path needed.

Actually I think you should not do this in the light of 250-24. The electrode is only for lightning and over-voltages 250-4(A)(1), NOT ground fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.