Grounding per Article 411

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschlosser

My question is about grounding a low voltage led light according to article 411 of the NEC. I have a light that is UL listed to low voltage luminaires that has a metal housing and requires a listed class 2 power supply. Does this mean this light can not be mounted directly to a grounded metal workbench or machine?

In general it seems safer to me to ground any exposed metal of the housing. Article 411 says low voltage lighting should not be grounded. Does grounding the housing somehow make a class 2 circuit less safe?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The low voltage side of transformers and power supplies are not usually grounded. The transformer or power supply provides isolation from the line voltage so no grounding is needed.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
411.6 says that the secondary of the supply transformer shall not be grounded. It does not address the actual metal parts of the fixture.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
411.6 says that the secondary of the supply transformer shall not be grounded. It does not address the actual metal parts of the fixture.

Which means that it doesn't matter if you ground the metal parts of the fixture or not or if you mount it to a grounded surface. It has no effect on safety nor will it harm anything.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.