Grounding pole lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gc232018

Occupation
Electrician
Can someone explaine the theory on how to properly ground a pole light does it need a ground rod or not and are we suppose to connect all the grounds together

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The metal pole gets connected to the EGC run with the branch circuit. That's all that's required unless you're also setting up some type of lightning protection.

Gc232018

Occupation
Electrician
So then I was wrong about needing a ground rod???But wouldn’t it be safer if the equipment ground was separated from the pole heads

Also, think about this: Say you bond the pole to an 8 foot ground rod. Calculate the surface area of contact between the rod and the dirt. Now look at your pole base which is a giant chunk of concrete with steel anchor bolts cast in it (probably wired or connected to rebar as well) and bolted to the metal pole. What is that rod doing that the pole base insnt already doing??

Take a look at this picture of a 100 foot transmission tower. Pretty funny once you start thinking about it huh?

Attachments

• IMG_20200317_161341123.jpg
    IMG_20200317_161341123.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 42

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So then I was wrong about needing a ground rod???But wouldn’t it be safer if the equipment ground was separated from the pole heads

Absolutely not. If you're relying on the ground rod to clear a fault on the metal pole it would be very unsafe.

BhrC580gz6VE3ToviRMLKqGjYr_S01IxeVis1Ha0SMvmekJrU3N0LYXV8Q8PDvgQ3Ytec6ZMXNS1XRdZdcn4KuuOZKrZ7NuRzt3DmQCLFPaGT_TDSJJV2mChXVM

Gc232018

Occupation
Electrician
Cool thanks everybody! Someon that didn’t know the difference must have told me that you had to put a ground rodgot to be careful about where you get your information.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Remember, this is a branch circuit, not a feeder, so the pole being a separate structure does not trigger the electrode requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.