Grounding problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can i test if i have a high resistive ground coming from my load side would my amps go up ,any one have any other ways to check

brian john

1. High resistance ground as in the grounding electrode condustor. MAKES LITTLE OR NO DIFFERENCE.

2. High reistance on the grounded conductor as in thge neutral from the utility?

Why do you fell this is an issue? Are you having problems?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It sounds like you are asking about a fault condition, such as a breakdown in insulation, with a value of resistance to ground that is low enough to cause significant leakage current, but still high enough to cause the total current (i.e., load current plus fault current) to be below the threshhold of tripping the breaker. Is that it? Do you have reason to suspect that this is happening?

I would start by measuring the current at the source and at the load. Put the clamp on ammeter as close to the source (i.e., within the panel, right at the breaker) and as close to the load as you can get. If you are seeing a significant difference, then shut down the load and perform an insulation resistance test. Actually, now that I've said that, it's probably best (safer process) to start with the insulation resistance test.

Status
Not open for further replies.