Grounding RING??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvim002

I am designing a grounding system for an industrial site.

I have a room which I plan to have a grounding ring. Because I will be using BARE copper cable, should the ground grid still be a ring?? Can I just not surround three sides of the building with the ground wire and connect to the rebars? ( Because on the fourth side, there is an exisiting structure, and I just didnt want the hassle of digging into the existing structures).

rcarroll

This is from 250.52(A)(4) "A ground ring encircling the building or structure, in direct contact with the earth, consisting of at least 20' of bare copper conductor not smaller than 2 AWG."
Sounds like you'll be ok.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If you do not encircle the building its not a ground ring. Its a length of copper wire in the ground. As long as you have other grounding electrodes you will be compliant with the NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you do not encircle the building its not a ground ring. Its a length of copper wire in the ground. As long as you have other grounding electrodes you will be compliant with the NEC.

I agree with Tom, the requirement for a ground ring is that it must encircle the building or it does not qualify as an electrode.

dereckbc

Staff member
I concur with Tom and Rob. To be compliant with NEC you will have to use a rod or two to comply. Silly I know, but that is the rule IMO.

dereckbc

Staff member
This is from 250.52(A)(4) "A ground ring encircling the building or structure, in direct contact with the earth, consisting of at least 20' of bare copper conductor not smaller than 2 AWG."
Sounds like you'll be ok.
RC the keyword here is ENCIRCLING

dereckbc

Staff member
Second thought here I Re-read the OP. So I will throw this out for discussion.

If he ties it into the rebar, does that not constitute a UFER or concrete encased electrode therefor no need for a ground rod?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can I just not surround three sides of the building with the ground wire and connect to the rebars? ( Because on the fourth side, there is an exisiting structure, and I just didnt want the hassle of digging into the existing structures).
If you can land the two ends of the new three-side ring onto an existing ring, that should qualify. Is there one now?

I wouldn't do anything without proper engineering. I wouldn't want to make a mistake either way; too much ring or too little.

wirenut1980

Second thought here I Re-read the OP. So I will throw this out for discussion.

If he ties it into the rebar, does that not constitute a UFER or concrete encased electrode therefor no need for a ground rod?

I agree. It sounds like he can tie to the rebar of the building's foundation, and get himself an approved grounding electrode, so no need for a ground ring or ground rods. Of course the UFER must meet 250.52(A)(3).

Status
Not open for further replies.