Grounding Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwinans

I need to drive a grounding rod for the purpose of grounding flammable liquid stored in a 55gal drum and I need to know what is the minimum depth of the grounding rod?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Grounding Rod

Why do you need to ground this drum? Bonding of the transfer sysem before staring a transfer would make sense to me. Grounding of the drum does not make sense to me.
Don

kqresq

2002 NEC 250-53G. "The electrode shall be installed such that at least 2.44 m (8ft) of length is in contact with the soil."

cwinans

Don, The drum is considered to be temporary storage. I need to ground the drum and then bond between the drum and the recieveing container. I was under the impression that the contact need only be 4-5ft.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

cwinans,
I still don't see any reason to ground the drum. What would grounding the drum accomplish?

kqresq,
This is not an NEC required grounding electrode, so Article 250 does not apply.

Don

cwinans

OSHA Code 1910.107(e)(9) requires that - "Whenever flammable or combustible liquids are transferred from one container to another, both containers shall be effectively bonded and grounded to prevent discharge sparks of static electricity." - I've been sited on this standard and was told that the answer to my question was located in the NEC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

The NEC does not cover this application. The proper bonding will prevent the static sparks. Grounding may not, in itself, prevent the static sparks. I think this is another case of problems with the words "grounding" and "bonding".
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.