Grounding seperate building

Status
Not open for further replies.

cirtcele1

I have a pole barn that is supplied by the main panel in the house. The feeders are connected to a two pole breaker in the house. They have only the two hot conductors and neutral conductor running to the pole barn panel branch panel main breaker. A seperate grounding rod has been installed at the pole barn. The part i'm a little unsure about is the neutral has been isolated in the pole barn branch panel. From looking at the current 2011 code this is not correct?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What the 2011 NEC has to say on the subject is perhaps less important what what is said in the NEC edition that is in effect in your area. The NEC edition that was in effect when the building was constructed may also have a bearing. Do you know which editions answer the later two descriptions?

Welcome to the forum.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a pole barn that is supplied by the main panel in the house. The feeders are connected to a two pole breaker in the house. They have only the two hot conductors and neutral conductor running to the pole barn panel branch panel main breaker. A seperate grounding rod has been installed at the pole barn. The part i'm a little unsure about is the neutral has been isolated in the pole barn branch panel. From looking at the current 2011 code this is not correct?

if there was a ground fault out at the barn, how would the subpanel be able to clear it?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Before the 2008 NEC you could do what you have stated however the neutral would have to be bonded to the can and the grounding electrode conductor would be connected to the neutral.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Assuming the installation was done prior to the 2008 NEC, an EGC would not have been required. However, the neutral would absolutely would have to be bonded at the out building being served and would need a grounding electrode system in any case. Otherwise as, petrosonra stated, there would be no fault return path and would be unsafe and non compliant.

cirtcele1

It was installed in 2004. So it sounds like i needed to put the screw in the branch panel that ties the neutral and ground together to at least bring it up to the code it was installed under.

You may need to run a jumper sized at the grounding electrode conductor between the neutral bus bar and the grounding bus bar. The bonding screw to the metal enclosure is not adequate to tie the two conductors together.

Status
Not open for further replies.