Grounding service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephena

There is an underground service coming into an existing shop panel. The DB cable went bad so we had to refeed panel from new meter base and installed the panel disconnect right at the entrance of the building then went from there to the panel. We left the grounding electrode system at the panel (seperated grounding and isolated neutral bars) and ran a GEC to the disconnect and did the main bonding there. It's all in pvc. This is permitted right? I now they want the grounding electrode system to terminate in the first disconnecting means but its the same as if you used a copper bar as your common connection point. We are just using the grounding bar as our connection point for our GEC. Any code references that say this is illegal?

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, you would be in violation of 250.64(C) which requires the GEC to be continuous,

iwire

Staff member
There is an underground service coming into an existing shop panel. The DB cable went bad so we had to refeed panel from new meter base and installed the panel disconnect right at the entrance of the building then went from there to the panel. We left the grounding electrode system at the panel (seperated grounding and isolated neutral bars) and ran a GEC to the disconnect and did the main bonding there. It's all in pvc. This is permitted right? I now they want the grounding electrode system to terminate in the first disconnecting means but its the same as if you used a copper bar as your common connection point. We are just using the grounding bar as our connection point for our GEC. Any code references that say this is illegal?

In my opinion you have a violation there, you either don't have a compliant copper bar or you are not irreversible spliced.

Status
Not open for further replies.