Grounding Symbol Between Transformer Windings

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree it is indicating that the transformer is shielded. Isn't an isolation transformer usually a 1 to 1 ratio?

MTW

From Eaton Spec Sheet.

Application Description
Electrostatically shielded transformers are used to protect sensitive electrical equipment from undesirable high fre- quency signals commonly generated by lighting, switching surges, motors, and SCRs feeding noise back into the line. An electrostatic shield, consisting of a single turn of aluminum foil placed between the primary and secondary winding, is used to provide from
30 to 70 dB attenuation of wide band line-to-ground (common mode) noise.
Typical uses of shielded isolation
transformers include:
■ Suppression of transients and noise which travels from its source to the sensitive load equipment.
■ Suppression of noise and transients at the point where the noise or transients are originating, thus preventing them from backfeeding from the source to the feeders.
■ Transform one voltage level to another.
■ Isolate one circuit from another.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I have never seen a medium voltage 3.6MVA oil filled electrostatically shielded transformer.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I can't say that I've ever seen a 630 volt three-phase transformer before.

My guess is a symbol is just drawn that way for no real reason I don't think they are asking for electrostatically shielded anything unless it says so in the spec somewhere.

Unless you have to supply the transformer it doesn't make any real difference anyway to how you wire it

Carultch

I agree it is indicating that the transformer is shielded. Isn't an isolation transformer usually a 1 to 1 ratio?
Not necessarily. It is common to teach that a 1:1 ratio transformer is called an isolation transformer, because that is the main purpose of a 1:1 transformer. Isolation transformer are built in other ratios as well. Most transformers you see, are isolation transformers, and likely just not called that, because the voltage conversion is their main purpose.

Isolation transformer is the opposite of an autotransformer, which means that the magnetic coupling is the only way to pass power through it. Autotransformers also pass through a reference to ground, while isolation transformers create their secondary as a separately derived system.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
But, as a practical matter, isolation transformers are built in way that minimizes all couplings between primary and secondary except their mutual inductance.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
But, as a practical matter, isolation transformers are built in way that minimizes all couplings between primary and secondary except their mutual inductance.
Only when using industry slang.
Most manufacturers use a two word term, like 'drive isolation', when describing their specialty isolation designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.