Grounding the body

Status
Not open for further replies.

karl riley

Recent health researchers have found that grounding the body, particularly at night, has definite measurable health effects.

The question is how to do this according to NEC and safety in general. Some ground to a stake outside. But this I believe violates Code because it is not bonded to the building ground; hence it would remain energized if a fault with a hot source occured.

The other way is to ground to the grounding jack in a wall receptacle after checking that it is wired correctly. My question is whether there is still a safety/Code problem with this. If the hot contact were downstream from the connected person, I would think they would be safe. If the person were the contact point, then only the resistance to the grounding point would determine how much current went through them. Agree?

If a safety resistor were part of the grounding device, then the person might not have a lethal current go through them, but they would remain energized and if they touched a grounded surface then they would be in danger. On the other hand, this is always true in a Code compliant house.

Opinions needed. this has to be settled, since this is an important health breakthrough.

Karl Riley (still a moderator!)

Hello Karl, nice to hear from you.

What about a conductor from whatever the "health ground" location would be, directly to the waterpipe ground in the building?
Insulate the health ground to minimize contact with other conductors/conductive surfaces.
Although capacitance may be an issue, then the path would have to be carefully choosen.

KISS - 'keep is simple simon'

mcclary's electrical

As everyone here know, at times the grounding system is used to clear fault current. At that particular moment, nobody's body should be "attached " to it.

As everyone here know, at times the grounding system is used to clear fault current. At that particular moment, nobody's body should be "attached " to it.

The function of the grounding electrode system is not to clear fault conditions.

See 250.4(A)(1) & (A)(2)

08bjohnston_fig4_560299831.jpg

Last edited:

karl riley

It does sound strange that a simple connection to earth has very positive health effects (like lying on the sand at the beach and swimming in the ocean). Basically the effect is to connect the body electrically to the earth's free electrons. To understand more about why this would help a wide variaty of conditions due to the inflammation reaction, see the website earthinginstitute.net. You can download the scientific studies. This is very recent stuff.

Sooner or later you may be called in to help someone set up a grounding path, particularly if they are in an older house without grounding conductors.

I am now thinking that as long as the wires run to the device that makes body contact are insulated right up until the wall plug, it should be Code compliant. The devices I am speaking of are either an anti-static wrist strap that computer chip assemblers wear (this works - I had the best sleep of my senior life when I first used it last week); or the conductive fabric (high ohms) that you can put under your sheet for capacitive connection.

Any opinions welcomed.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
I was wondering how this might stack up against wearing magnets.
From the linked site:

"Q. What is the difference between the Earthing technology and the use of magnets? 

A. Although the use of magnets produce some therapeutic effects when properly applied, magnets cannot provide free electrons, nor can they connect the body with the naturally balancing electric frequencies of the Earth. Earthing technology used inside your home or office connects you with the Earth?s electrons in the same way as if you were standing barefoot on ground outside. 

"

One might inquire, how about lightning as a therapeutic source of free electrons and natural balancing frequencies?

I always thought that ... with my choice of occupation and thus being around more free electrons and frequencies than the average person.
That it could be a Negative. ;)
Now I am less Positive.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I was wondering how this might stack up against wearing magnets.
From the linked site:

"Q. What is the difference between the Earthing technology and the use of magnets? 

A. Although the use of magnets produce some therapeutic effects when properly applied, magnets cannot provide free electrons, nor can they connect the body with the naturally balancing electric frequencies of the Earth. Earthing technology used inside your home or office connects you with the Earth?s electrons in the same way as if you were standing barefoot on ground outside. 

"

One might inquire, how about lightning as a therapeutic source of free electrons and natural balancing frequencies?

I always thought that ... with my choice of occupation and thus being around more free electrons and frequencies than the average person.
That it could be a Negative. ;)
Now I am less Positive.

Click this link it is very interesting.:grin:
http://www.earthinginstitute.net/

dbuckley

Assuming this is a half serious question: get a semiconductor anti-static wristband, and a matching plug, and shove it into the nearest receiptcal.

There will be a high value resistor in the wrist strap that will provent danger should a hot conductor come along.

Status
Not open for further replies.