Grounding the neutral

The electron man

Occupation
Electrician
I know grounding and bonding is a complex subject so I'm trying to understand it better

1# I know we drive a rod to help dissipate any emf caused by outside source's like lighting and to prevent arc flashes inside

2# I know the purpose of the main bounding jumper and egc is so fualt current can make it back to the source (transform) to create a surge of current to open the ocpd

But what I'm still having trouble understanding is why do we attach the neutral to earth

Would love to hear from more experienced electricians for reference I've been an electrician for almost 3.5 year

Thanks

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I know grounding and bonding is a complex subject so I'm trying to understand it better

1# I know we drive a rod to help dissipate any emf caused by outside source's like lighting and to prevent arc flashes inside

2# I know the purpose of the main bounding jumper and egc is so fualt current can make it back to the source (transform) to create a surge of current to open the ocpd

But what I'm still having trouble understanding is why do we attach the neutral to earth

Would love to hear from more experienced electricians for reference I've been an electrician for almost 3.5 year

Thanks
Look up corner grounded systems. We chose the nuetral because center tapping lowers voltage to ground but corner grounding is still an option.

120 years ago the pros and cons of grounding and bonding vs using entirely non bonded systems was discussed and argued and decided on. Its interesting to look into.