Grounding type Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Can you be a little more specific with the question?

Roger

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Can you be a little more specific with the question?

Roger

I am wondering if the bonding jumper to a grounding terminal on the receptacle is required or am I still permitted to omit it in cases of self grounding receptacles.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am wondering if the bonding jumper to a grounding terminal on the receptacle is required or am I still permitted to omit it in cases of self grounding receptacles.

Self grounding receptacles install to a properly grounded box do not need a jumper to the box--260.146. Here is an example where neither the self ground or jumper is required

(B) Contact Devices or Yokes. Contact devices or yokes designed
and listed as self-grounding shall be permitted in conjunction
with the supporting screws to establish the grounding
circuit between the device yoke and flush-type boxes.

ry%3D400

kwired

Electron manager
Doesnt this violate the Section in 406 requiring the grounding terminal to be connected to the EGC?

I didn't read through requirements to get exact wording, but the metal box is also required to be bonded to the EGC, so all three - box, receptacle, and EGC are bonded together.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Doesnt this violate the Section in 406 requiring the grounding terminal to be connected to the EGC?

Bonding does not necessarily mean a "conductor". it can be via a screw, conductor, strap....

So, if you have a metallic conduit, metallic box with metallic raised cover then you don't need a wire jumper between receptacle and the metallic box.

If you have all metallic with a metallic plaster ring then you need a jumper between the receptacle and the box or a self grounding receptacle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would add with surface mounted boxes (1900 or 4 11/16") and finished covers there are two styles of cover, one with dimpled edges and ones without. The dimpled edge covers do not require a bonding jumper between the receptacle and the metal box. The non-dimpled covers do.

fmtjfw

SORRY IT'S A CIRCLE

SORRY IT'S A CIRCLE

here is the handbook

ry%3D400

If that illustration is from the "Handbook" in connection with grounding receptacles using a mounting screw, then it just reenforces why I avoid the "Handbook".

An isolated ground receptacle (denoted by the triangle) has no connection between the yoke and the grounding pins

Grump, Grump, Grump!!! :thumbsdown:

Never mind, it is a hospital grade receptacle that just happens to be orange.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.