Grounding with HCF MC AP Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdnholla

I have a question regarding using ground pigtails in our boxes with HCF MC AP cable. I don't understand why it would be required, the only problem is that I cant find anywhere in the code book that states that. We did a medical office building about 6 years ago when I was a first year apprentice and our foreman said it was not required then, and im pretty sure that would have been HFC AC cable. Not sure exactly how long the HFC MC AP cable has been out but im sure its a pretty new cable. But anyway with that cable we are using the correct boxes and connectors for this cable (they are stamped). Im not sure if there is something that changed from the 08 code to the 11 but if anyone has any information regarding if it is required please let me know, also with a code reference thank you. FYI its the same inspector from 5 years ago that passed the HFC AC cable with no ground pigtails.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
If your using it in a 517 environment then 517.13(B) would require what you describe. If not a 517 install then depends on the type of device used. 250.146.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Metal studs on not, I agree with Chris.
250.148 will require a connection between your equipment ground conductor and the box.
In areas governed by 517.13, those receptacles are also required to be connected to that equipment grounding conductor.
In areas not governed by 517, 250.146 will allow the fro other means of receptacle grounding.
(Although it dos not apply to this particular situation, the FPN at 517,16 provides some reasoning.)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As Chris and Gus said, the grounding terminals are required (has been a code requirement for a long time) to be connected to the insulated wire EGC per 517.13(B)
(B) Insulated Equipment Grounding Conductor. The grounding terminals of all receptacles and all non?current-carrying conductive surfaces of fixed electrical equipment likely to become energized that are subject to personal contact, operating at over 100 volts, shall be connected to an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor. The equipment grounding conductor shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.122 and installed in metal raceways or as a part of listed cables having a metallic armor or sheath assembly with the branch-circuit conductors supplying these receptacles or fixed equipment.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.