Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

redanchor

I have a 100 amp 3 phase panel fed from a manhole with a ground rod It is fed with 4-5 so cord.The neturals & grounds are separated.The ground wire is kearned at the manhole it has a pigtail going to the ground rod & then to the frame of the concession stand whitch will be there 17 days when the fair is over.Now the inspector wants to run another ground wire from the ground bar to the rod then to the frame & take thejumper to the rod out. Isn't this redundant grounding since the presant ground wire is already there.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Grounding

Originally posted by redanchor:
I have a 100 amp 3 phase panel fed from a manhole with a ground rod It is fed with 4-5 so cord.
I sure hope it's not protected at 100 amps, because it's only good for 60 amps per Table 400.5(A). :(

The neturals & grounds are separated.
Where are they connected? They are connected somewhere, right?

Isn't this redundant grounding since the presant ground wire is already there.
If I'm reading your description correctly, yes, it appears that what you're doing will have no effect on the system. Why is this being requested?

Is this a service? Whose manhole is it? Can you provide us with more details?

redanchor

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Originally posted by redanchor:
I have a 100 amp 3 phase panel fed from a manhole with a ground rod It is fed with 4-5 so cord.
I sure hope it's not protected at 100 amps, because it's only good for 60 amps per Table 400.5(A). :(

The neturals & grounds are separated.
Where are they connected? They are connected somewhere, right?

Isn't this redundant grounding since the presant ground wire is already there.
If I'm reading your description correctly, yes, it appears that what you're doing will have no effect on the system. Why is this being requested?

Is this a service? Whose manhole is it? Can you provide us with more details?

redanchor

The manhole is fed from a switchgear in the load center. the panel is located on a concession stand that serves food

Status
Not open for further replies.