grounds in panels

Status
Not open for further replies.
in a regular house panel homeline or qo etc. how many grounds under one individual grounding terminal.and where in nec can I find this in nec :eek:

charlie

Re: grounds in panels

110.14(A) gives the manufacturers permission to list the terminal bars for more that one grounding conductor but the manufacturer has to have their panelboard labeled for the number of grounding conductors. You are not permitted more than one grounded conductor but most manufactures have their panelboard labeled for two or three grounding conductor.

Channing, what king of electrician are you? :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Charlie, thanks for the reference!

You specifically mention grounding conductors, where 110.14 doesn't. Is there something mentioned regarding grounded conductors, can they be that way too? That's been a debate around my shop.

I'm guessing most panels aren't listed for the grounded to be doubled up?

Yeah Channing, where you from, what's your specialty?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

George,
You specifically mention grounding conductors, where 110.14 doesn't. Is there something mentioned regarding grounded conductors, can they be that way too? That's been a debate around my shop.
no they can't, see 408.21

Roger

charlie

408.21 Grounded Conductor Terminations. Each grounded conductor shall terminate within the panelboard in an individual terminal that is not also used for another conductor.

oooo interesting. usually I land the grounded and grounding conductor from the same NM cable under the same terminal. I think it speeds up installation and looks nice. Apparently i should cease that practice. :(

charlie

One of the great things about this forum is that a lot of practices that we thought were OK are dispelled and we all learn. Inspectors can catch only so much because of the time constraints most are under. There is also a limit to their knowledge just like there are limits to ours. With more knowledge, we all can be more Code compliant. It will save a life. :D

clayton

what would be the reason for having only one wire per terminal?
especially if the terminal is rated for more than one wire?
just curious.
and does the same then apply to breakers that are listed for 2 wires?

clayton

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Absolutely, Charlie.

For those of us scratching our heads looking at our 2005's, looking at the big empty hole where 408.21 used to reside, now it's NEC 2005 408.41.

At least I caught myself before I said, Nah-uhh! :D

[ December 10, 2004, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

clayton,
especially if the terminal is rated for more than one wire?
The terminals are listed for only a single grounded conductor per terminal screw. They are listed for multiple grounding conductors. The rule was added in the 2002 code to make enforcement easier. The requirement for only a single grounded conductor per terminal has been a part of the UL standard that covers panels for many years.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.