Group B of the IBC - Fire Alarm Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoyt

Good day,

F.A. Question:

The iternational building code:

907.2.2 - Group B requirements for fire alarm system

I have a Group B - Remodel - It is not sprinklered and will not be after the remodel. We are remodeling a few portions of the building, some areas we are not touching.

I am required a manual fire alarm system in the building. The building does have existing pull stations at the doors...and a few smokes and horns in a couple spots.

Couple questions:

The pulls are not ADA - Do I need to move them down to meet ADA?

How do I know what rooms I have to add Smokes to?

Thanks,

Hoyt

ron

If the IBC only requires a manual system, then to comply with the minimum, you only need a smoke above the control panels and in ductwork as required in the IMC.
I don't think anyone actually enforces ADA compliance, it is just when the building owner gets sued by an activist.
You will however need to adjust pull station heights if they are not in compliance with the fire alarm code (NFPA 72) rules.

jbt260

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The pull stations need to meet the requirements of NFPA 72 (which I think matches ADA).
In addition to what Ron stated, if applicable, smokes would be needed for elevator recall, smoke doors, and smoke dampers. If atriums are involved, you may need beam detectors.
You will also need to add strobes along with the horns and locate them as required by NFPA 72.

jbt260

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Correction to my Post

Correction to my Post

jbt260 said:
You will also need to add strobes along with the horns and locate them as required by NFPA 72.

Strobes will only be required if you are replacing the fire alarm sysem for the entire building.

Status
Not open for further replies.