Grouping of MWBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I came across this in a text book and before I contact the author I want to throw it out here and see if you agree. I totally disagree. It seems like he is trying to say that multiwire branch circuit grounded conductors must be grouped but if the isn't a multiwire branch circuit then it doesn't need it as shown in "G". I think he is overlooking 200.4

200.4 Neutral Conductors. Neutral conductors shall be installed
in accordance with 200.4(A) and (B).
(A) Installation. Neutral conductors shall not be used for
more than one branch circuit, for more than one multiwire
branch circuit, or for more than one set of ungrounded feeder
conductors unless specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code.
(B) Multiple Circuits. Where more than one neutral conductor
associated with different circuits is in an enclosure, grounded
circuit conductors of each circuit shall be identified or
grouped to correspond with the ungrounded circuit conductor(
s) by wire markers, cable ties, or similar means in at least
one location within the enclosure.

multiwire branch circuit Miller0002.jpg

Here is the explanation for fig G

multiwire branch circuit Miller0003.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Must be an old book and I agree the statement is wrong. The neutral versus grounded conductor nonsense went away several code cycles ago in the 2008 NEC when the inserted the definition of the term Neutral Conductor. The letter G wording ignores that.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Maybe he's like me and living in the past :) You are, of course, correct but the requirement for multiple circuits was introduced in 2014. He hasn't caught up.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The author needs to review the definition of "neutral conductor" and "neutral point".
However I do recall it being taught, in the past, that a grounded conductor that is only associated with one ungrounded conductor is not a neutral.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I kinda agree with you, at the panel, it would make no difference, but at the next box down, the grounded conductor could be used on a different hot that it was paired with at the first box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The author needs to review the definition of "neutral conductor" and "neutral point".
However I do recall it being taught, in the past, that a grounded conductor that is only associated with one ungrounded conductor is not a neutral.
The author is well respected Charles Miller

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

Well technically that is true. A grounded conductor is only a neutral when there is ")" amps on the conductor.. At least that is my understanding but it is not in the code book AFAIK

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I do recall it being taught, in the past, that a grounded conductor that is only associated with one ungrounded conductor is not a neutral.
That was the thinking years ago but with the definition of neutral conductor it is no longer true.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am sure as the years go by somethings get missed. I was pretty certain it was an error but I wanted to make sure

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Could have been a reprint of an old copy into the new book.
Exactly but I don't remember when it was that a multiwire branch circuit needed ties but single circuits did not. I remember when both didn't need ties or markings but not when one did and not the other

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Exactly but I don't remember when it was that a multiwire branch circuit needed ties but single circuits did not. I remember when both didn't need ties or markings but not when one did and not the other
200.4(B) was new to the 2014 code and the language in the 2020 is the same as in the 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.