Grouping of service meters for residential units

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmgasik

I am in the process of getting my plans approved for a residential duplex building. The building department is requiring me to provide two seperate meters located on opposite sides of the structure. Can I just group the meters into one service connection? Is there a code section that requires the two seperate service connections?

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Re: Grouping of service meters for residential units

This will not answer your question directly but if you install ganged or grouped meters you will have to install disconecting means with them. You cannot locate the breakers for one unit of your duplex in the other unit. If the duplexes are to share a common basement then that is a different story.

In answer to your question as neer as I can make out the US NEC does not require separate services to duplex homes. All multiple services to buildings are exceptions to the basic rule contained in 230.2. I can't see any reason to not use a single service for your job.
--
Tom

230.2 Number of Services.
A building or other structure served shall be supplied by only one service unless permitted in 230.2(A) through (D).
(A) Special Conditions. Additional services shall be permitted to supply the following:
(1) Fire pumps
(2) Emergency systems
(3) Legally required standby systems
(4) Optional standby systems
(5) Parallel power production systems
(B) Special Occupancies. By special permission, additional services shall be permitted for the following:
(1) Multiple-occupancy buildings where there is no available space for service equipment accessible to all occupants, or
(2) A single building or other structure sufficiently large to make two or more services necessary
(C) Capacity Requirements. Additional services shall be permitted under any of the following:
(1) Where the capacity requirements are in excess of 2000 amperes at a supply voltage of 600 volts or less
(2) Where the load requirements of a single-phase installation are greater than the serving agency normally supplies through one service
(3) By special permission
(D) Different Characteristics. Additional services shall be permitted for different voltages, frequencies, or phases, or for different uses, such as for different rate schedules.

[ March 01, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: hornetd ]

iwire

Staff member

When I am faced with something like this I would check out other installations that have passed inspection in the area served by the same inspector.

In this case you should be able to drive around the area and see how other similar 2 family houses are done.

charlie

You need to check with the local electric utility also. The serving utility here determines where the service point will be located. It doesn't matter if there are firewalls or not, we may designate a point where we will hit the structure. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.