grow house.. need lighting contactor for multiple start times??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

A ''building" I am wiring needs multiple Circuit start/start times.

Different circuits need different start/stop sequences.

Any suggestion other than ten different timeclocks??

Preferably a low tech option that does not need a 4-year degree in programming or relay logic.:lol::cool:

Thank you Dennis?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

Preferably a low tech option that does not need a 4-year degree in programming or relay logic.:lol::cool:

Thank you Dennis?

if it's a "grow house" two things come to mind.... they most likely will want to be able to adjust
times on the fly easily. getting plants to flower in schedule sometimes they fiddle with stuff.

they can afford to do it right.

it needs to be able to be operated by someone three bong hits away from sober. seriously.

lutron vive would be where i'd go on this one. one hub, pico switches, dimming modules
near the loads served. it'll do daylight harvesting, demand response, and more timers and
scenes than you ever will need.

vive is heading in the adjustable color temperature lighting direction. so are grow houses.

don't take payment in weed.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I once put together a micro PLC and touch screen HMI for a grow house to control water, lights and a little crane system to raise the lights as the plants grew. The customer fully understood it when we turned it over, got a call a month later because it “wasn’t working any more”. He was high as a kite when I went out there to try to help. I told him to call me when he was sober. The thing was that when he wasn’t high, he could figure it out again... That was the one and only time I did one of those projects.

kwired

Electron manager

Thank you Dennis?
Old school multipole cam operated timer - but those are expensive.

Can get a pretty basic PLC for around $100 from Automation Direct, might need at least one expansion module to get 10 outputs.

Do need a computer and another interface component to be able to program it, the programming software is free and downloadable even if you haven't purchased a PLC. You can even download and practice using software before deciding if that is something you are comfortable pursuing any further.

All a matter of what you want to call low tech these days. Even ten different time clocks may still need to apply relay logic to some degree.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I laughed hysterically at this.

Yeah, it's only funny in retrospect. At the time, this guy was a P.I.T.A. I hate talking to stoners (when I'm sober...) :angel:

i wasn't kidding when i said it needed to be bong proof.

as for the guy who could do it sober, it has to do with the state of mind
you were in when you learned how to do it, whatever it is.

i took my journeyman's test the same way i learned the material.....
with a bottle of jack, and some "powdered fun". stayed up all night,
an hour before the test, ate a bowl of oatmeal to settle things, walked
in, took the test. finished 3rd out of 75. #1 went to JT, who was an electrical
engineer before he took the apprenticeship.

thank god i wasn't sober. i'd a had a hell of a time.

when i finally did get sober, i had to relearn a whole bunch of my
sparky stuff. the first few months were a blitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.