GTE Sylvania Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I need to feed a new panel from three spare positions in an existing panel. See the attached photos. This is a 100 amp MLO in a hospital that we are helping to remodel.
  1. Am I likely to be able to find a three pole breaker that is compatible, given the likely age of this panel?
  2. Is there a largest ampere rating breaker that would fit?

Attachments

• IMG_0529a.jpg
    IMG_0529a.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0528a.jpg
    IMG_0528a.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 5

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I believe BR is a replacement and if you have documentation concerning Challenger breakers then that will be supportive since Challenger bought this line. I could be wrong.

I gather you have taken off that cover and confirmed that the blank spaces are not being used for the lug set to connect the feeder.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I gather you have taken off that cover and confirmed that the blank spaces are not being used for the lug set to connect the feeder.

+1 I wouldn't count on there being spares behind those blanks.
The nameplate seems to indicate a 225 amp buss. so I'd think you would be limited to the breaker feeding the panel on breaker size.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
To be clear, there are three (non-adjacent) circuits that are about to become spares during the demolition phase of this project. My intent is to "shuffle" the other circuits around as necessary to create room for a 3-pole breaker. Since the panel is rated at 100 amps, I suspect that I won't be able to fit a 100 amp, 3-pole breaker, to feed a downstream 100 amp panel. I don't really need 100 amps on the downstream panel. I think 60 is more than enough. I also suspect that it is more likely that we can find a 60 amp, 3-pole breaker that would be compatible with this panel. My question is, can anyone confirm that this path forward is likely to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.