Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
This is from an upcoming job.

21642fa5efd4.jpg

342daebaa686.jpg

This was the very first telephone switch board in the town I live in. I'm working on a renovation that will be a communications museum, part of the local history museum. This will be displayed there, but I hope they clean it up a bit. The building originally housed a printing press for the local paper. They had a press in there, along with some old radio station equipment and other oddities.

wbalsam1

Looks familiar to the TT (tiny telephone) Bantam patch cables I have in the sidecar patchbays in my recording studio. :smile: TT is a very reliable method still in use many decades after it's invention.

TOOL_5150

wbalsam1 said:
Looks familiar to the TT (tiny telephone) Bantam patch cables I have in the sidecar patchbays in my recording studio. :smile: TT is a very reliable method still in use many decades after it's invention.

I always wondered that..... What makes TT different than TS or TRS connectors? Are they better, and if so, how?

~Matt

wbalsam1

TOOL_5150 said:
I always wondered that..... What makes TT different than TS or TRS connectors? Are they better, and if so, how?

~Matt

I really don't know, other than quality of workmanship, perhaps. I know my TT patchbays are running about 5 times the price of the tip/sleeve and tip/ring/sleeve 1/4" jack PB's. But, I seldom have issues with reliability of the bays themselves. So, you get what you pay for. Even the Bantam cables are way more expensive and last longer. Recabling a studio costs in the thousands, but by installing good quality conductors, I minimize downtime searching for a burned-out cable while the band waits around losing interest. :smile:

wbalsam1

iwire said:
So what are you doing out of that studio?

Hip Hop? Rap? :grin:

Nope! No Hip-Hop or Rap. I'm too old to get parts for. :grin:

I record mostly single or doubles musician/songwriters or small groups of four or five. They're mostly folk music or bluegrass. All acoustic instruments are my favorites to record....banjo, mandolin, resonator guitar, flattop guitar, fiddle, doghouse bass. Lots of fun...meet great talent and great people. :)

iwire

Staff member
wbalsam1 said:
They're mostly folk music or bluegrass.

I kind of guessed that. :cool:

I worked with a machinist at a factory that made his own beautiful guitars as a hobby and at one time was earning a living traveling around playing blue grass. At this point I think he just does it for fun. He travels to PA for some large Blue Grass festivals. Seems to enjoy the people as much as the music.

TOOL_5150

wbalsam1 said:
I really don't know, other than quality of workmanship, perhaps. I know my TT patchbays are running about 5 times the price of the tip/sleeve and tip/ring/sleeve 1/4" jack PB's. But, I seldom have issues with reliability of the bays themselves. So, you get what you pay for. Even the Bantam cables are way more expensive and last longer. Recabling a studio costs in the thousands, but by installing good quality conductors, I minimize downtime searching for a burned-out cable while the band waits around losing interest. :smile:

Yeah, I stuck with TRS plugs and connectors made my switchcraft or neutrik.
Heres a shot of one of the walls of my studio:\

2008-WALL.jpg

I play rock, but like rock, country, some bluegrass and some electronic music.

~Matt

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
TOOL_5150 said:
Yeah, I stuck with TRS plugs and connectors made my switchcraft or neutrik.
Heres a shot of one of the walls of my studio:\

2008-WALL.jpg

I play rock, but like rock, country, some bluegrass and some electronic music.

~Matt

holy cow you've got some nice toys! :)

not sure how much of a "purist" you are, but I've been using line6 pod pro stuff for years now with awesome results, studio and live. they have a new pod pro set to go on sale in the fall that looks even more awesome. seems most people love 'em or hate 'em. deep dive editing on the computer is the way to tweak it though. i don't so much look for an exact match to a sound though, and you can come up with some nice tones.

i run mine through a mesa 50-50 or marshall 8008 live, depending on the location. i have a friend going through a 20/20 that sounds awesome.

cadishead

Wiring

Wiring

Thank you for the picture. It looks like some of the emails that I receive showing the wiring and distribution pictures from India. Do you members ever get these pictures? Thank you.

Cadishead

stickboy1375

iwire said:
I kind of guessed that. :cool:

I worked with a machinist at a factory that made his own beautiful guitars as a hobby and at one time was earning a living traveling around playing blue grass. At this point I think he just does it for fun. He travels to PA for some large Blue Grass festivals. Seems to enjoy the people as much as the music.

Bob, just get Guitar Hero for X-Box, You too can be a rock star! ;) :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVUgd8ot6BE

Status
Not open for further replies.