gutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

badjeepr

when can the aritcle "cabinets, cutout boxes, and meter sockets" be utilized for sizing gutters instead of 366.58 (b). What is meant my (deflection of conductors)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: gutters

Sometimes that happens. Not every question has an answer. For my part, I didn't offer any insight because all I know about gutters is that I need to clean them out every fall. :roll:

What is it that you are trying to do? Did you attempt to size something per 366.58(B), and not like the results that you obtained? Do you think there is something in 312 that will allow you to use a smaller size?

The bit about deflection of conductors seems to me to be all about preventing damage to a conductor, by making sure there is room in the box to make the necessary bends. Here I have to ask, what is it that you are trying to understand?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Bob, I had one of those type of guards installed on my last gutters, it was worth every penny. :)

Roger

cselectric

Now, if I understand code correctly, you don't have to clean those gutters unless the cross sectional area of the leaves is greater than 20% of the cross sectional area of the gutter? :D :roll:

badjeepr

LOL@ rain gutters...i thought this was an electrical forum.
in response to charlies inquiry...an engineer has spec'd a 6x6 gutter on drawings to accomodate the installation of autoxfmr's midstream of a pair of 200 amp feeders each containing 3/0 conductors,2"C there will be 2-2"conduits in the top entry,the same 2 out the bottom plus the 4 autoxfmr conduits. even w/o the additional auotxfmr entries i sized the enclosure@ 14"x14" for L-pull but the engineer claims otherwise and we all know engineers are never wrong. im tempted to just install as spec'd but i would certainly rather do it right the first time! ;)

cselectric

From what you've said, it sounds like the gutter is being used as a junction or pull box. In which case 314.28 would be the correct article to use (As 366.58(B) would direct you to.) After that, it depends on weather the conductors pass straight through, angle through, or splice in the box. which will determine if sizing is based on 314(A)(1) or 314(A)(2).

[ September 07, 2005, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: cselectric ]

badjeepr

I agree..sounds like a pull box but the engineer was trying to get off on some technicality to reduce enclosure size. I was arguing my point due to the fact of who in their right mind is going to pull 3/0's 200' through a 6"x6" gutter.

cselectric

I fail to see where this installation, as I understand it, meets the definition of cabinet or cutout box found in Art. #100 (and I'm quite certain it isn't a meter socket :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.