H-TAP Connectors and Triplex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
General Contractor
Hello,

I recently started working in a more rural area and have started to run into privately owned triplex. I have not previously had to make connections to triplex as this has been done by the POCO in all my prior installations. I have looked at both power and manual tools and I plan to purchase a manual tool and upgrade later if this becomes a recurring thing. I will be working with conductor sizes 3 AWG copper through 4/0 Aluminum.

I am looking at the Greenlee K425BG or K425O. The tool has D3 die grooves and either a BG or O die groove depending on model. I think I need the BG tool but I am not sure.

These are my questions:

Will a BG die groove crimp H-TAPs?
What is the D3 die groove?
Will different H-TAPs require different dies?
How should I insulate the hot conductors after crimping, rubber splicing tape?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I recently started working in a more rural area and have started to run into privately owned triplex. I have not previously had to make connections to triplex as this has been done by the POCO in all my prior installations. I have looked at both power and manual tools and I plan to purchase a manual tool and upgrade later if this becomes a recurring thing. I will be working with conductor sizes 3 AWG copper through 4/0 Aluminum.

I am looking at the Greenlee K425BG or K425O. The tool has D3 die grooves and either a BG or O die groove depending on model. I think I need the BG tool but I am not sure.

These are my questions:

Will a BG die groove crimp H-TAPs?
What is the D3 die groove?
Will different H-TAPs require different dies?
How should I insulate the hot conductors after crimping, rubber splicing tape?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Blackburn wide range connectors. 2 dies do all 7 connectors. D and O dies. I have the Milwaukee manual crimper. They make plastic snap over covers or you can tape.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.