HACR Circuit Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRoy

I'm looking at a Trane spec plate and I see for US installations - BR CKT SEL CUR: 20 / 18 AMPS, Max Fuse or HACR TYPE CKT BREAKER: 45/40 AMPS - so I'm assuming this is telling me that any HACR breaker at or above 20 AMPS and less than or equal to 45 AMPS is ok to use - correct?:?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Your slash rating makes me think one rating is for 208 volts, the second for 240.
Once you select the proper one for your voltage, you are correct in that you can not exceed the maximum rating. The more you reduce that number the greater your chance of a nuisance trip on start-up.

iwire

Staff member
I'm looking at a Trane spec plate and I see for US installations - BR CKT SEL CUR: 20 / 18 AMPS, Max Fuse or HACR TYPE CKT BREAKER: 45/40 AMPS - so I'm assuming this is telling me that any HACR breaker at or above 20 AMPS and less than or equal to 45 AMPS is ok to use - correct?:?

I agree with Gus, it depends on what voltage you are running it at.

At 240 volt you could use as small as 14 AWG with a maximum of a 40 amp breaker.

JDB3

iwire; At 240 volt you could use as small as 14 AWG with a maximum of a 40 amp breaker.

I know that you are correct, but would you please post the code article for this. Can't find it again. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.