Hadco Pole Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgeorge

Has any one seen the Phillips Hadco pole lights? The one I have to install has a terminal block on it with 3 fuses. This light is single phase 120v. What is with the fuses? There are no manufacturers literature with the light and the web-site with the spec sheet is no help either. Any one care to shed some "light" on this for me? :-?

Thanks,

Brian

Cavie

Received 15 GE Cobra heads the other day. Ordered part# xxx-xxx. 480 volt 2 wire system. Same as 120v. One hot to ground. I received heads with terminal blocks with 2 fuses. I removed the fuse blocks completely from the heads and installed one inline fuse at the base of the poles. Why anyone would put fuses in the fixtures 40' in the air over a roadway is beyond me. Seems it's like multi tap ballast. They make one size fits all and you choose the size that fits.

mxslick

1 Head...think I should just remove block and inline one fuse...

Ok, I'm gonna be the troublemaker here and point out a few things::grin:

1: Removing the fuse block can void the UL listing and most likely WILL void the manufacturer's warranty.

2: Is it possible (I think it is) that the fuse is rated high (say 15 amps) and is there as a last-resort safety in case of catastrophic failure. I have seen pole-mounted and other types of HID fixtures catch fire. It would also (in the case of multi-head fixtures) make it easy to pinpoint the bad one.

I would in this case give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt in this case as I think they would have thought about how hard is is to change a fuse 40' in the air.

Inline fuses in the pole base is always a good idea as pointed out in many other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.