Hair Salon Circuiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Is it typical for each hair station in a salon to have its owner circuit? Some hair dryers are 1800 watts, if two of them plug in the circuit blows. Any input?

mxslick

Yes hair salons should have circuits for EACH stylist station. Anything less and you're asking for trouble.

Do a search for Beauty salon load calcs and you'll see some other threads covering this in more detail.

westelectric

Most definitely, 2 circuits per station. 1 will have the dryer plugged in always. The other will probably have a flat or curling iron warming up while the dryer is running. Those circuits in hair salons add up very quick.

Npstewart

What about making them GFI receptacles? Im looking in the NEC to see if its required. Most Hair dryers and Curling irons have them built in already

mxslick

No GFI unless near the shampoo wash basins or other sinks and locations required by Code.

For the record, when I talk of a styling station I am referring to one where ONE stylist at a time uses it. Some salons call a station TWO adjacent chairs, in which case two circuits are a MUST.

Otherwise, a single 20 amp circuit will safely serve ONE stylist. Blow dryers in a salon are short-term loads. Most curling irons are under 200 watts now, so the circuit can safely handle the load. I speak from over 20 years experience in dealing with my brother-in-law's salons.

Now the sit-down dryer chairs are a different story...new ones run around 900-1000 watts each, so no more than two of those can share a circuit. Older chairs may draw more, so if there are many older chairs it would be best to allocate a circuit for each chair. These chairs are usually running for 3/4 to 1 hour continuous at a time.

Bob will fall out of his chair, but the styling stations are very well served using MWBC's, same with the blow-dry chairs. I try to keep any cash registers/computers (a lot of salons have computers for style programs and those programs where a client can see how different styles look on them) and other electronics on dedicated neutrals.

Status
Not open for further replies.