Halogen lights flickering when dimmed wth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

Finishing up this hellish job and part of was installing 12 recessed lights 6 in each room. After all said and done they start flickering when you dim them and sometimes they don't dim hardly at all.

Started out with **** lutron $12 dimmer then swapped it out with another **** levitton. Both were 600 watts. I used br65 philips halogen bulbs.

I did a test with some regular incan bulbs still flicker. I took 5 bulbs out and left one in and it seemed to dim fine.

So at the end of the day i just took out both dimmers and put a toggle in. Never a blink.

They do have a **** (big) load on one 15 amp circuit and in one 3 gang box they have at least 6 maybe 7 neutrals twisted together.

Would it be the neutrals causing the problem with the dimmer? Or would a 1000 watt work better? Or different halogens?

Weird the lights flicker in both rooms when operating the dimmer. It also doesn't seem to start right away maybe after alittle while of use.

I dunno looks real unprofessional right after they compliment my work then this happens:rant:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
..........It also doesn't seem to start right away maybe after alittle while of :rant:

It sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Either, the neutral connection, hot connection, breaker connection, even as up stream as POCO.

Article 90.1

I think you may have two circuits in that 3-gang box. Three switched legs + one in + one out = five neutrals, but you have seven, so maybe two circuits or more outs. I'm guessing from my chair that the neutrals are wrongly tied together, and it could be somewhere other than the mentioned 3-gang box.

Last edited:
Finishing up this hellish job and part of was installing 12 recessed lights 6 in each room. After all said and done they start flickering when you dim them and sometimes they don't dim hardly at all.

Started out with **** lutron $12 dimmer then swapped it out with another **** levitton. Both were 600 watts. I used br65 philips halogen bulbs.

I did a test with some regular incan bulbs still flicker. I took 5 bulbs out and left one in and it seemed to dim fine.

So at the end of the day i just took out both dimmers and put a toggle in. Never a blink.

They do have a **** (big) load on one 15 amp circuit and in one 3 gang box they have at least 6 maybe 7 neutrals twisted together.

Would it be the neutrals causing the problem with the dimmer? Or would a 1000 watt work better? Or different halogens?

Weird the lights flicker in both rooms when operating the dimmer. It also doesn't seem to start right away maybe after alittle while of use.

I dunno looks real unprofessional right after they compliment my work then this happens:rant:

Check the NUMBER of lightbulbs supported by the dimmer instructions. A 600W dimmer supports a single 600W load but only 400W if it is more than 2 devices.

KVA

Just finished the job.

I ended up putting in a crap rotary dimmer the $7 lutron and it works fine...:?

The other room they changed their minds and actually wanted it to be real bright all the time because they spend a lot of time there. So I put a regular single pole switch in.

Weird that the cheapest dimmer you can buy works fine.

KVA

Check the NUMBER of lightbulbs supported by the dimmer instructions. A 600W dimmer supports a single 600W load but only 400W if it is more than 2 devices.

I had 6 recessed lights with BR30 65 watt halogens on each dimmer. So these 600 watt dimmers should be able to handle a 390 watt load. I didn't derate the dimmers either.

Status
Not open for further replies.