Halogen PAR 38 lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Are halogen PAR lamps being phased out too along with other incandescent lamps?

I'd like to use some 250W track light fixtures for a stage, but I don't want to use them if the 250W PAR38 lamps are going to be phased out.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Are halogen PAR lamps being phased out too along with other incandescent lamps?

I'd like to use some 250W track light fixtures for a stage, but I don't want to use them if the 250W PAR38 lamps are going to be phased out.
As far as I know, all Halogen lamps, because they are "high efficiency", as well as specialty lamp formats such as 250W PAR38, are not currently scheduled to be phased out at all. No guarantee about future legislation, of course.

MissLiz

As far as I know, all Halogen lamps, because they are "high efficiency", as well as specialty lamp formats such as 250W PAR38, are not currently scheduled to be phased out at all. No guarantee about future legislation, of course.
I have been having some issue with Par 38 halogen lamps sizes. The supplier is only able to get new replace halogen lamps that are lower wattage ex.. the Par 38 150w halogen lamp now is only avilable in 80w and is listed as the replacement for 150w. This is Sylvania lighting. This is also a issue for me as I prefer halogens for outdoor and spot lighting.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree the halogens are not phased out but they are no longer the higher wattage- Our par 38 90 watt flood is now going to be 75 watt I believe.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Less efficient PAR lamps have been phased out. In 2020 the requirement will be raised to 40 lumens per watt from the current 18 lumens per watt, which will pretty much eliminate all the non-exempted incandescent and halogen lamps.

http://blog.1000bulbs.com/coming-soon-more-light-bulb-bans/

A distinction that I had not realized before about the 2009 regs:
Fortunately, there?s a silver lining to the Halogen PAR ban. Most eliminated PAR lamps will be replaced with IR Halogens, which have a special infrared coating on the Halogen capsule to redirect heat inward and increase the efficiency of the bulb. This allows them to meet the minimum efficiency requirement of around 18 LPW.
So between now and 2020 the major determining factor may be whether there is enough demand for a manufacturer to engineer and tool up for a particular capacity and form factor bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.