Hammer Drill Recomdations

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky_magoo

Bosch spline drive. Don't be disappointed when you have to break out the eight pound sledge to drive a rod through rock.

mdshunk

500 dollars isn't gonna get you much in the way of ground rod driving power. You really need one with around 10lbs of blow energy per hit or better. Of course, depends on your soil type. While you will get a lot of brand preferences from people that don't have any particular bearing on the topic at hand, I'll simply say that I use the Milwaukee 5321-21.

mdshunk

brian john said:
Do you want a $500.00 hammer drill or one that can do the job? Decisions, decisions.
My decision was a tradeoff because I intended to carry it on the truck every day for an all purpose hammer drill. It's a tad heavy for every day use, but a tad light for pounding in every ground rod. Sort of a middle ground. I just couldn't justify a specialized drill just for ground rods, particularly since I don't put in more than maybe 75-80 in a year.

sparky_magoo

mdshunk said:
My decision was a tradeoff because I intended to carry it on the truck every day for an all purpose hammer drill. It's a tad heavy for every day use, but a tad light for pounding in every ground rod. Sort of a middle ground. I just couldn't justify a specialized drill just for ground rods, particularly since I don't put in more than maybe 75-80 in a year.

Thats a lot of ground rods!

wawireguy

Find some models that fit the bill then look on ebay. I regularly see roto hammers going for at least $100 less than retail there if not more.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
500 dollars isn't gonna get you much in the way of ground rod driving power.
Maybe central Virginia is soft, but I haven't yet had a rod my Bosch wouldn't drive. Maybe a dozen have been tough, meaning more than a minute or so. It still beats sledging.

I don't remember the model number, but I can tell you it's an SDS-Max and I think it has an electronic speed control. It drives a 4" core bit through brick easily enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.