Handholes - I thought I knew (conundrum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Simply:

310.23 says: "Enclosures within the scope of this article shall b e supported in accordance with one or more of the provisions in 314.23(A) through (H)." I can't find anything in A thru H that covers handholes. I can't find anything in those sections that covers handhole enclosures buried flush in the ground. Maybe it's supposed to be assumed. Did I miss anything?

Thanks as always.

mark

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I read 314.30 fully before posting this question, but I didn't see how this negates the requirements of 310.23. Thanks for the reply.

Mark

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I would venture to argue that as long as your conductors are in conduit at the depth required by NEC, why would a handhole be restricted to being flush in the ground unless it is specified by the manufacturer. NEC 314.30 states "...shall be identified for use in underground systems." but would that limit you to only underground systems if it met standards to be above ground? I know it sounds like I am chasing the rabbit. Obviously, there are reasons you bury it flush... for instance when the lawn crew comes out and sets the deck nice and low. I recently had a client ask us to come up with a to protect an inground vault which was not buried flush and the lawn guys smashed the hell out of the lid.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I read 314.30 fully before posting this question, but I didn't see how this negates the requirements of 310.23. Thanks for the reply.

Mark
FWIW I have never buried them flush. Always left them a couple of inches high. Makes them easier to find once the Bermuda grass covers them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.