Hands on training for substation work/hanging grounds

tom08588

Occupation
Engineer
Is anyone aware of a company that has a facility where employees can learn to practice opening air switches, breakers, hanging grounds? I have a group of about 6 technicians that could use this training, but we do not have a way to practice this without actually taking a substation offline. Most training programs I've found just have videos/course work but I'd like them to actually be able to do it with the full PPE on.

ericsarratt

Occupation
Utility Contractor, HVAC Service Tech, Septic Installer & Subsurface Operator, Plumber
Is anyone aware of a company that has a facility where employees can learn to practice opening air switches, breakers, hanging grounds? I have a group of about 6 technicians that could use this training, but we do not have a way to practice this without actually taking a substation offline. Most training programs I've found just have videos/course work but I'd like them to actually be able to do it with the full PPE on.

If you find a training facility please post the information to the forum. I would be interested in this training.

You can try the Southeast Lineman Training Center Trenton, GA. lineworker.com Ph 706-657-3792

If they don't teach it, they may know a company that does.

They are supposed to be one of the best lineman colleges in the country, but they were to expensive for my bread. I'm going to look at a local community college for lineman training.

You could also call the local POCO and ask them how they train their employees on this.

I ran into the same problem when I was looking for training in trench excavation safety practices. Everything I ever found was just a bunch of powerpoints with no hands on and in the trench training. I wanted to be in the trenches with trench boxes and hydraulic shoring. Nothing is available that I ever found. Disappointing. OSHA was no help either.